Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do we have to use Vodafone router?

gpevans70
1: Seeker

We are considering changing to Vodafone broadband from another ISP. We prefer to use our own router (a good spec ASUS one).

Do Vodafone prohibit this or do anything to obstruct the use of our own router?

We accept that any problems with our router would be ours to sort, and, if there is a problem, we might need to swap in the Vodafone one for fault finding.

6 REPLIES 6

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Vodafone (rightly or wrongly) has a strict policy of not giving out user names and passwords so it is impossible to use your own router. You have to use the one supplied by Vodafone. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your answer.

Simple outcome - we won't migrate to Vodafone.

I'm in the same boat too .. would switch today if I could use my Draytek (which I currently use with BT)

Soofla
10: Established
10: Established
The issue is almost certainly because Vodafone's ADSL offering is actually a tiered fibre connection. So, you could order ADSL for the lowest possible cost. Then, with your username/password and your own router, you would be able to get the 40/10 service (which you are actually being provided with) for free.

Vodafone will now provide your user name and password to allow you to use your own router.

There are a couple of stipulations though, those being, you have to use an OpenReach approved router and Vodafone can't help with any setup/fault on a 3rd party router.

Having been supplied with my username and password many months ago during a very small window of opportutiny I am please to read that the window has opened again.