Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Home broadband keeps dropping out

3: Seeker Silver

For the last few weeks I have noticed my VF home broadband dropping out intermittently through the day. It is only for a small period, 30 secs max, sometimes only 10 secs. I've put up with it but now it's starting to irritate me, e.g. when movies stop playing, music stops on spotify etc

Anyone else have this issue, and how can it be resolved? thanks

View more options
90 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi,

May I ask....

Are you hard wired by Ethernet cable or using wifi ? If by wifi then that can affect speeds. 

If by ethernet cable try another. 

How long has your broadband been activated ? It can occasionally take up to 30 days to settle if a new connection. 

Links...

My-broadband-is-slow-How-can-I-make-it-faster.

What-should-I-do-if-I-m-having-problems-with-broadband-connectivity.

IMG_0985.JPG

View more options

My devices around teh home are all connected via WiFi; it's not the speed that's the issue, its the connection dropping out completely

I've had VF broadband over 1 year now

View more options

Ah ok,

Havd you tried resetting the router ?

Got a question?

08080 034 515

(free from all UK landlines and mobiles)
Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week

IMG_0985.JPG

View more options

Yes I've reset the router several times; I am still getting the network drop-outs

View more options

Ok. 

Perhaps give them a call if you've exhausted your options from your end. 

IMG_0985.JPG

View more options
2: Seeker Bronze

Hi,

Yes, I'm having this issue and it's really starting to irritate now. I can't completely put my finger on it but part of the confusion is that the wifi is so poor in my lounge that I've reinstated my Powerline. (The routerWhilst I can still access the internet on my pc, everything else drops out. I've got a sonos system and the app sometimes refuses to open and it's impossible to reconnect. I've noticed that if I unplug the cable to the sonos bridge it fixes the problem. I was watching a film this afternoon and lost the connection altogether. Rebooting the router usually fixes it but I can't put up with this. I was with Sky bb before but had my own linksys router which was as solid as a rock and something I very relunctantly had to give up.

View more options

I have just moved to Vodafone from EE and have started to experience this same issue, coincidentally I didnt get this with EE in over 18 mths. I have been with Vodafone now 2 weeks and spoke to support around 4 times, when this happens I notice in the router under DSL status that the PPP uptime resets to zero when this happens. I am a bit IT savvy and I believe this is the same as what is being reported here. When on a tablet playing online games it drops, (connection icon appears), SONOS goes off (streaming from say Spotify), also I have an android emulator that stops working on a hard wired PC. In addition on my PC I cannot retrieve my email via my POP3 client. The strange thing is, all web browsing both on tablets and PC still work, now to me to a network techy there has to be some good clues there. However, Vodafone support have suggested, router firmware updates (am on the latest), power cycles, resets, privacy settings, wifi issues (why?) - it is clear the fault is between the Vodafone router and their transmission equipment at their end as web browsing works. Seems to me it is something running around link layer control, the physical link and path is there so it must be some logical connections in the tcp stack somewhere at Vodafone end. Not impressed with Vodafone support, don't think they can grasp the concept of it to a point where I am exhausted trying to explain the actual logic of what it going on. I am glad in a way I see this happening elsewhere as I thought maybe some strange quirk with my setup, clearly it is a Vodafone issue without doubt. The issue is as stated very very irritating albeit not a major line drop, you never know when it is about to happen and I am now on edge if I am streaming music just waiting for the silence to take over. Vodafone aren't to keen to resolve it, I have been advised on my last call that I may be better going back to EE, as I am in cool off (and would prefer to stay with Vodafone) and I may not have the patience to stay in the hope it will ever get resolved.

View more options

Attachments

@cr355

As we'll need access to your account to help you further, I've sent you a private message.

Once we've received you email one of the team will be in touch.

View more options

Ive been with Vodafone for years, mobile and since they started broadband...was more than happy to stay but looks like im going!

I wouldnt say Vodafone broadband is problem free, but ive been happy with the bugs and issues and challenges until this

Since the update Ive been having exactly the same problems (on top of the other issues), at one point it was totally unusable, still is dropping out 8-15 times a day minimum - been through every support level to conclude yes its the router, yes it cant cope, yes using your own kit would solve it, yes we would love to - but we arent allowed.

Run round customer (doesnt actually) care to settle on despite our equipment being rubbish, despite everything (and not really listening) we wont give you the connection details, there isnt any other fix so you will have to leave.

Im sure no one actually listens and the issues arent actually being reported properly...so good luck - i would switch back to ee while you can.

View more options
I have been so frustrated with this broadband since also joining last sept. We have slow internet but the most frustrating thing is the drop outs. I have tried to change the settings but saily we have drop outs. Only today it happened and i contacted chat team for the 5th time. No help at all and claim my drop puts are less than 4 a day which is acceptable. I get many more than they claim and tofay some devices wont connect via wifi anymore.

I play online gaming and the drop outs are literally spoiling all the enjoyment and stressing me out.

I have turned to forums as asked if they had another router which they said no. Its clear the router is garbage and sub standard.

I even chose to pay a little more a month to join from sky as the boost feature i thought would help. Boost is pointless.

I will make an official conplaint as all i want is stable internet. If not i will find another supplier that can
View more options

Hi @Boyo1927 and @user2202

This isn't good to hear. We'd love to help. 

Please speak to the Home Broadband team on Live Chat and we'll look into it. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

View more options

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your support and i appreciate your reflection on the problem

The live chat teams are useless (unless you confirm they will give me my connection details)

Ive had level 2 support and written to customer care and now the ombudsman

The issue is simple and known about.

The solution is simple and NO CHARGE to vodafone

I dont see what the problem is. But perhaps you can confirm whether support are willing to support or will stop at a policy decision that is not appropriate?

View more options

@user2202 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

We'll investigate further once you've contacted our team. 

View more options

Hi

Is this different to the level 2 escalations already in place for this issue?

View more options

Seems to me it's quite an obvious solution and Vodafone tech are now paying some attention to the issue but I am afraid it appears to be just lip service. Customers are already contacting support for a resolution and posting their frustrations in here, all that appears to be coming back as a response is to respond to a private message and get back in touch with Vodafone - for what ? further repetitive testing and even more frustrations. For me it is not acceptable, Vodafone are not doing enough - it would appear the Vodafone router is the issue, Huawei routers are cheap and tacky - get rid of them or let customers use an alternative.

View more options

@CR355 absolutely - couldnt agree more

The question of why stay with VF keeps running through my mind - but that isnt the point.

The fix is immediate and simple:

Allow customers to use their own equipment (even if you require them to agree to T&C's) - there is NO reason not to and NO cost to Vodafone...its not even a proper policy

More widely they need to improve their router firmware - my belief is their router is doing something they dont want us to know about or similar - EG like tracking activity or allowing a support back door or allows an easy route into the VF network. It might even be linked to the muted loss of the sure signals and thats why they dont want us using our own equipment.

Eitherway ive never heard of a provider getting ANY stick when they let you use your own equipment - its only Sky and VF that make you and even sky's stuff is better (and people leave both)

View more options

@user2202

If you follow the link on the private message we've sent to you, an email will come through to us directly.

View more options

Thanks

The form link sent doesnt work (contact number issue), could you confirm the purpose? I will complete it again if its going to enable use of my own router - happy for you to message me.

View more options

@user2202

This will enable us to access the account to help further.

I've resent you the private message, so please try again.

View more options