Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Home broadband keeps dropping out

2: Seeker Bronze

What on earth are VF support doing by constantly asking us all to fill in tedious forms highlighting already known issues, seriously why ? I have sent you my home number (which is all you need - my email is also verification as its tagged to my account) yet you persist in asking for customers to contact support ? I would take this fault as mentioned by another user that it is known about within VF, there are enough users complaining about that we know of. I have since been advised that VF BB may not support the retrieval of email using a pop3 client !?! really ? what twoddle.

View more options

@cr355

We'd need to access your account to look into this further, which we can't do via a public channel such as this. This is why we provide the link to our secure email form. 

Our Broadband team will help with any issues you're facing. 

View more options

But the point is (as it applies to me) we have been through all the channels and all you are suggesting - unless you want to confirm otherwise - is doing more of the same.

If you were going to do something that hasnt been done, then it might be different and we all know the solution to the problem.

Use of our own equipment

Better VF Firmware (maybe test it too)

Less VF "features" and better core functionality

View more options
I am having the same issues. My internet has been dropping every 5 minutes all weekend, requiring me to restart my dsl connection everytime which makes it essentially useless.

When this happens the internet light on the router starts flashing red and is normally 2 minutes before anything eill connect again.
View more options

Disable UPNP and try that Smiley Wink

View more options

Well I am now totally exhausted explaining this fault and putting up with it, I have had several tech engineers looking at it and nothing has yet changed and nobody can resolve it. It is far easier for me to move back to EE, it seems evident after research the Hauwei router that is supplied is a bag of the preverbial, not something in this day and age I am prepared to endure for the next 18 months.

View more options

@user2202

how would disabling upnp help ?

View more options

try it and see - i know why, but try it

View more options
3: Seeker Silver

Any updates on this thread ?  My connection is randomly rebooting too.  Most it will stay up is 2 days.  But this is a major headache when you are online gaming / streaming movies.  Never had this issue with BT where I was allowed to use my own High Quality router.

View more options

The answer is above from me or in the other post - turn off the UPNP

View more options

@user202, disabling upnp doesn't work as it happens - how on earth you think a universal plug and play option affects the tcp stack (which is where the issue is beggars belief - more intriguing is as to why you cannot explain how it would alleviate the problem yet suggest it)

View more options

THanks for the rude reply - im only trying to help you!

You do know im just a normal customer.

But for the simple minded...its difficult to be exact, due to the limited diagnostics...but disabling UPNP has resulted in my router remaining up 100%, from what i gather, it causes a processing or memory issue which then causes the router to get consume more resources and disable or cause various failures.

From memory - at 85% the GUI starts to become unresponsive at 90% it starts to drop things and then just waits until it hits 100% for a forced restart.

Its not the only thing to mess around with...DNS addressing, removing it from VF servers makes the restart process 50% faster.

But its your kit, i dont know if you actually tried disabling UPNP it took days of testing to find out what it was for me and a few on here that its helped - your problem could be something different.

But i dont care if your system never works...just trying to help

View more options

Hi - this sounds like one of the issues that I've been having. It's definitely a fault with the router, as - as you say - the interface becomes unresponsive at the same time. Basically, the router is crapping its pants and dying.

Is there a way of manually forwarding ports on the routerwith uPNP disabled?

Thanks!

View more options

Yes thats what i did, it does play up a bit and lost my forwards a few times...but if you note them first then you can do it manually normally

View more options

We have been with VF since the 23rd Feb 17 having switched from BT. What a mistake! Broadband keeps dropping out (never did with BT) Have contacted live chat but they do not seem to understand that it is the connection to the servers that is dropping. We get the dreaded flashing red light and the internet light is flashing. This happens between 5-15 times a day. What is the problem. Bloody useless!!!

View more options

@user2202, not sure how my response was misconsturued as rude, however personally whatever slant you take as with your view I couldn't care less. As it happens I am going back to EE who like other providers don't give customers free drop outs that annoy the hell out of people. I was lulled into VF by someone telling their wifi is better than everyone elses as it boosts to a particular device, what tosh  . .  it's an option you select that last for 12 hours - not sure what benefit that is, what they need to do is sort the internet connection out as someone else as quite rightly noticed - it's a rubbish router paired with sub standard tcp/ip stacking. Your Upnp may solve your issue but whilst we are all complaining about drop outs your symptom may be different and Upnp has worked, if the case all you have done is fudge a tosh router as it should cope with what it was manufactured to do else it simply isnt fit for purpose, you should never have to disable its options to reduce cpu power so it can work correctly .. .  ..  Good luck everyone else trying to 1) explain it to VF staff, and 2) getting them to actually address the issue and resolve it.

View more options
11: Established Silver

@user2202 Im another disabled uPNP happy customer.   uPNP has always been as buggy as hell on most routers and every cheapo router I have had supplied by ISP I have disabled it immediately - not purely cause it a bit useless.  But also because it does seem to cause disconnects on cheapo routers.

Just wanted to say disabling it worked for me and it's not a one off for you.  Ins aying that once I had disabled that I got a bit trigger happy and disabled everything an d plugged in something much more acceptable to my tastes and used the VF junk as a modem really.   :-).

View more options

Great, glad its working.

I had some issues using the VF as just a modem (because you cant bin everything), so i managed to bodge to a point it does what i need.

Ive never used UPNP, but ive never had it screw up so much...from what i can tell (as above), UPNP causes part of the problem, DNS another - my router had some issues with its ip addressing and something else. Ill ignore some of the other "feaures" that useless box of chips has!

View more options

Obviously this is quite a serious issue.  I'm sure VF know about it, but are just sweeping it under the carpet and hoping noone notices. 

Hard to ever know if they realise the seriousness as 1st and 2nd line support do a sterling job of making sure you never get to speak to anyone that has a clue...!!!

• "Can you plug a normal phone in and listen to the line for a bit"  --  I don't own any landline phones !
  • "Can you take your Master socket to bits and start experiementing with the test socket and filters for a while" --  It's in a very awkward place where it cannot be knocked and has just worked for years without issue on BT Infinity (with my own router).

View more options

This problem does seem more widespread than I thought. Luckily we still have a couple of days to take the 30 day opt out. I would ring support but reading some of the other comments doesn't seem worth it. We have complained to the CEO's office before over a different matter and got things sorted. Might try that again.

View more options