Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network wiring for VC router

Keggers
2: Seeker

So I've connected a Cisco 4410n access point to my vc router with a straight through cat 5 cable. There is a 5 port switch in between these but all wiring is with straight through cables. I'm having lots of issues with the wifi on the Cisco unit and am wondering if I'm wiring it all wrong, I've attached a diagram of my home network and would like help/ advice on the numbered cables as to weather they should be straight through cables or crossover cables. ,hope this makes sense. Thankyou.

23 REPLIES 23

Keggers

Sorry, duplicated message so have deleted content.

Makelo
12: Established
12: Established

Straight through cables for all. Whilst crossover cables would work they provide no benefit over straight through.

The only time you need crossover cables are direct PC to PC connections.

Edit:  

Check with different cables as they could also be a problem. Are they shop bought or  home made?

The set up you have should work and potentially not cause any issues but, there is a lot of shared bandwith between the access point and the router potentially causing slowdowns. In an ideal world you would connect the access point to the router or at worst the first switch.

Or, do some basic testing with different configurations to see if you can isolate a problem. If you cannot move the access point then get a long network cable and connect directly to the router and see what happens. If all is well then move the access point to the first switch and test again and so on.

If you are using the VF router wireless as well as the access point then make sure they are on different channels with different SSID's on all access points and frequencies (Then you know how and where you are connected) and try to locate a problem with the wireless also.

Thanks to you both for your interest in helping me, I've only been a Vodafone customer for just over a week and whilst I've heard quite negative reports about the router I'm not that techy to know if it's good or bad, the issues I'm having I also had with plusnet as my isp, so I'm thinking it's setting up of the access point,  I'm not sure if I need to be altering settings on the access point out of the box like ip addresses and the like. I've also not made setting changes within the vc router. I am trying to set my house up like this as it's long and has very thick walls and the vc router is out of range most of the time. The ap seems very unreliable with lots of drop outs, then often says the password we use for it is incorrect! Seems like some sort of conflict going on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A few basic changes may help.

- If you're not using the Wifi on the VC router, disable it. Use the AP.

- Disable DHCP within the settings of the AP, this will mean that the VC router will deal with all of the IP addresses. It makes your network run a lot more smoothly this way, as everything will treat the VC router as the main hub instead of some choosing the VC and some the AP.

- Check the IP address of the AP itself, if it's 192.168.1.1, change it to something else as it will cause conflicts within the router settings. I dont think theres an option to do this in the VC router itself but it's DHCP should manage just fine with the AP having a different IP (say 192.168.1.200, it's not likely any other device will have that one)

Unfortunately we do like to use the wifi at both ends of the house so I'm not sure what my best option is, the Cisco ap has an address of 192.168.1.10 but the only way I can access its settings is with that address whilst it's plugged directly into the vc router, I'm also not sure I can disable dhcp in the access point. I'm loving the speeds st the vc router, 78 down and 18 up but at the access point on wireless it's more like 20 down and 14 up...

Just thought I'd mention those speeds are wireless, if I connect to the same cable at as the access point with my laptop I get the full speeds again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything from the network side seems to be fine. He was right about the shared bandwidth but if you're getting full speeds using wired connections are you sure the AP is working properly? It does seem to be giving unusally low speeds. 

Also, it's a PoE device the 4410N isn't it? Just in case you're using a non-official power adapter, are you sure it's getting enough power?

I have just done another test, 34 download, 16 upload, the ap does have Poe possibilities but I don't think the vc router does and I'm using the Cisco supplied power supply...what are your opinions on Vodafone for reliabilty too? I'm still in my coiling off period! Is there s better device/ setup I could opt for. Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't reccomend their supplied router, but their service in general apart from this was faultless for me. It was literally just the router, I had to leave because they wouldn't give me the password to use a different router and we'd been through 5 of the vc routers within the few months we were with them.

Admittedly it was used under quite high demand with around 20 devices connected and in use simoultaneously and for some reason the 2.4GHz network would just cut out and stop working. On all 5 of the routers the exact same thing happened but they haven't come out and said its a problem so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Throughougly reccomend BT's Smart Hub though - excellent coverage, the best I've ever had and more importantly it hasn't broken down under the high demand. BT's obviously a bit expensive though, may well move back to Vodafone BB and use the Smart Hub as an AP