Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network wiring for VC router

Keggers
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So I've connected a Cisco 4410n access point to my vc router with a straight through cat 5 cable. There is a 5 port switch in between these but all wiring is with straight through cables. I'm having lots of issues with the wifi on the Cisco unit and am wondering if I'm wiring it all wrong, I've attached a diagram of my home network and would like help/ advice on the numbered cables as to weather they should be straight through cables or crossover cables. ,hope this makes sense. Thankyou.

23 REPLIES 23

When I signed up 10 days ago there was no mention of being forced to use there router, I also requested the info for my own equipment but that was a no go, would turning wifi on the vc improve anything really? And if I did I'd have to set another ap up ! All sounds like it's getting a bit messy 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The VC router is supposed to automatically select the bands most appropriate for the environment there and so shouldn't be choosing one of a nearby AP - I wouldn't worry about it

I'd probably say that it's the AP that's having the problem. Is the AP speed any faster when connected directly to VC router?

Also - Vodafone don't give out the passwords for using your own router because they connect everyone to the 80mb fibre by default and it's the router that limits your connection to 40mb (if you're on that package), not the connection itself so it's not in their best interests to be giving it out.

I'll go try the ap straight into the router now and report back,

With the ap connected direct to the router I've done 3 tests, best 32 download worst 16 download, iif I connect to the vc I get 74 download! Could this be settings sighing the ap causing ths?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of the box settings should change any of this -

Have a look for any speed limits (kinda obvious) but also QoS (Quality of Service) and try disabling those if they're active.

Also check the AP has N networking enabled in the Wireless settings.

If you're unsure of any of the settings feel free to post screenshots etc

Thankyou,   I'll have to try this tomorrow evening as I'm at work at 04:30😟 I'll take a look at report back any findings and post some screen shots, many thanks,

Another question before I hit the sack,,,,I seem to struggle to connect to the ap! Seems very random when I can access the config on it and from where. I cannot access it from where it's normally connected!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does seem a bit strange but it probably is an IP addressing issue - if DHCP isn't enabled though I dont see what could be causing the issue

After much persistence with the Cisco app and not being able to log into it I've had a change of plan. I've disconnected it and got my old plusnet hub 1 out and changed its IP address to 198.168.1.200 and disabled dhcp then tested it. For a change I managed to log straight in and connect straight away, have now moved it to the other side of the house where all seems to be good, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great - glad to hear it was just a DHCP issue. Guess they were both fighting over who was in charge of IP addresses. I'm assuming your speeds have now improved as well?