Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re: PPPoE username & password

Bunn
4: Newbie

Apparently there is an approved list of 3rd party devices. If your equipment is not on the list you will not get the PPPoE details. They are emailing me the list as the Billion Bipac 8800AXL  I had is not Openreach approved.

25 REPLIES 25

HaHa! I love it. how ironic. I will try a Billion Bipac 8800AXL. Any other ideas about a decent router please??

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@jumpin_jon apparently BT do have the ability to detect non-approved equipment, and have some provision to disconnect you though I can't find any instances  of people reporting where this has happened

I just chatted with VF, and they have given me my Username & Password.

When asked about routers, I told them I had the choice of 2 - one of which was a Huawei HHG2500, and Natasha confirmed that model is "..not approved by Openreach", so there you have it.  Vodafone themselves admit that their Vodafone Connect router is not good enough.  HA!

Hi Jon

That is great! Glad you are sorted. I will try in a little while and let you know if I am successful

Nabs

@jumpin_jon as far as Vodafone are concerned a "Huawei HHG2500" isn't approved. The hardware Vodafone has approved is called the "Vodafone Connect Router". So whilst they are technically exactly the same thing from a CS/company perspective it's something completely different.

To be honest I'd be surprised if CS even know that the router they supply is a HHG2500!

@Bunn regarding traffic management, Vodafone, according to the KFI document, don't apply any (much like EE). I suspect your drop in at peak times is purely down to the network being busy.

I remember when I was with Sky some years ago I enjoyed around 18Mbps most of the time but between about 6pm and 9pm it would very often drop to around half that.

If you want to be able to monitor your connection speeds you could apply for a WhiteBox from SamKnows, it runs several test on your connection and provides a monthly report card.

Hi Nabs

thanks for that. I have my username and password now. No questions about the type of router at all. I just stated that I was changing my VF one to an Openreach approved one and that was it. 

will now have to decide what to purchase.

KR's

Hi Jon

Thank you for the help and advice. I was called yesterday by EE who told me outright that VF did traffic manage data and EE did not. Lol! I suppose they just want to sell at any cost but it is an 18 month contract with EE and I would rather sort out my VF router to keep the speed but not the dropping out!

KR's bunn

Do anyone have a list or particualar model? They won't give me my details without that.

Hi horizon

I posted a list attached to the posting. There are many on there. If you can't see it I will go x it and reply to you via that post. VF gave me my details without any reference to the list yesterday.

KR's

3.6.17 at 04.43 list is posted as docx