Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router dropping connection / Apple Airplay / Loss of speed

Andrew1000
4: Newbie

Hello.  I've recently moved over to Vodafone Broadband and in general it's going ok.  

One issue however is that Airplay (used for communication with all my Apple devices) no longer works on the network.  My Amp (which is the Airplay end-point is no longer detectable by any of my devices.  For reference I've turned off the amp & made sure that it's otherwise fully connected to the network. Everything looks fine, but Airplay no longer works.

Please help.  Is there something that needs updating / changing on the router ?

64 REPLIES 64

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000 Please get in touch with our dedicated Broadband team via Live Chat or 08080 034 515 for help with your query. 

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Andrew1000 is your amp hard wired to the router?
I believe there are some issues with wireless devices seeing wired ones, though not sure if this was fixed or made worse in the most recent router update.

I'm using Ethermet.  The Amp is on the network and can be controlled by the remote app / access online content.  However none of my Apple devces can see it via Airplay anymore.

I called support.  Need to try splitting the 2.4 / 5Ghz networks first, testing devices on both individually, then getting back to them.

I learned that by default the router only uses 2.4 so it was quite a useful call.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Andrew1000

Thanks for updating the thread. I'm pleased to hear the Home Broadband support team are helping. 

If you need anything else, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Not looking good I'm afraid.  I guess this is why people just stick with the devil they know rather than moving key services to another provider.

I was told there was an expert mode in the Router Web Config.  However there isn't.  Looking at other threads from a long time ago it appears that this feature was added last summer.  So potentially I have a brand new router in Feb 17 that's got a config a year old ?  And remember I'm not allowed to use my own expensive top of the range device.

There also appears to be no option anywhere to update the router.  So it looks like I'm wasting more time at work tomorrow calling up support for more "ideas" that I can't test until I get home.

Another 30 minutes wasted this morning on the phone to Vodafone technical support and not speaking to people who were able to help.

No solution for why Airplay won't work.  Was even told to "speak to Apple".

No ability to upgrade by Firmware remotely.  Have been told to "reset the router and hopefully that will upgrade the firmware which might help".

So now I have to reset the router tonight and then call back to waste more time.

As I value my time quite highly I'm already worse off than if I had stayed with BT, paid the extra and continued using my own hardware, which was bulletproof.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

We'll investigate further once you've got in touch. 

Thanks Rahim.

I've replied as you asked.  I am also now at home so can try anything out on-the-fly you have to suggest. Feel free to call as soon as you can.

For reference I have RESET the router as support asked me to earlier and it did nothing obvious.  The router is still running on firmware version 5.4.8.1.160.13.75 (as before) and therefore no ability to split the 2.4 / 5Ghz WLANs.  Airplay still doesn't work.

I was going to call support again when I had RESET the router, but will now wait for your call.