Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router dropping connection / Apple Airplay / Loss of speed

Andrew1000
4: Newbie

Hello.  I've recently moved over to Vodafone Broadband and in general it's going ok.  

One issue however is that Airplay (used for communication with all my Apple devices) no longer works on the network.  My Amp (which is the Airplay end-point is no longer detectable by any of my devices.  For reference I've turned off the amp & made sure that it's otherwise fully connected to the network. Everything looks fine, but Airplay no longer works.

Please help.  Is there something that needs updating / changing on the router ?

64 REPLIES 64

The service is pretty poor isn't it.   Consider they could fix it quickly for you.  

I am not sure about previous versions of the software but definately on my version now it breaks it down in Status down the bottom.

Then on the ABOUT bit it gives details of all the modules even in basic mode.   🙂    You'd think they could quickly tell you have an issue and send you to the nearest shop to pick up a replacement router right ?  Just incase you have a rubbish router.

If you live close to a shop I would be tempted to rip out my router and pop in anyway.   They might give you another one   🙂   The shop staff near me are quite keen to give better service that the phone/web folks so they keep their jobs.

2017-03-01 14_08_53-Status.png

2017-03-01 14_09_30-About.png

Indeed.  It seems that 1st line are quick to answer and eager to please, but then getting to anyone technical to cope with something a reset won't fix is far harder.

I don't reckon I need new hardware.  Simply a firmware update.  With any "normal" router you could do this yourself.  However Vodafone have taken away that functionality and I need people to do it for me.  People who it seems are very tough to talk to.  Great !

And all this because the firmware I have on a brand new router is a very old version.  If they want to ship routers with very old (important) firmware then they should have a process in place so that it updates itself once it comes online.

I also (very confusingly) keep getting emails from "Vodafone" people, who advise me to keep emailing support via the email thread they sent.

If they are from Vodafone then surely they could get in touch with support and get this escalated.  If not then what value are they adding ?

@Andrew1000 the new firmware has the option to check for update in "Expert" mode.   So once you get to that level of firmware it hopefully will not be an issue for you to check yourself later :

2017-03-01 15_07_56-Firmware Update.png

That's good.

And also even more annoying that I've been shipped something so far out of date, missing such basic functionality.

Using the version I have I can't split the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks.  Have been told that only the 2.4 is currently in use & it looks like (from the basic setup I have) only b/g/n standards are available, potentially not ac.

Update.  Had a call from Vodafone support as I got in from work.  They forced an update of the router firmware straight away.

10 minutes later everything is back up and running, new version of the firmware installed AND everything seems to work perfectly.  Apple airplay working, WIFI ok.  All devices connecting.

I haven't tried splitting the WLAN yet (as everything works) but will definitely do this soon as I wish to change all the SSIDs / passwords.

Cheers everyone.  Happy customer again :smileyvery-happy:

@Andrew1000 that is fantastic.   It is absolutely crazy it took them so long, and such a pity.   The speed I am getting I am really happy about and the router might be ok - I have too much setup on my other one now to b e bothered with it too much.   For the cost though the speeds are great.

They are letting themself down with customer service which is sad really.   Long may your network thrive.  :smileyhappy:

Afternoon Paul.

Thanks for the interest, indeed it all only took a few moments to solve and since the update the whole Quality of router / service seems much better.  And everything seems to work too.

Quick testing also seemed to suggest that the signal is now much stronger downstairs (router is upstairs) where previously it was poor.

Apparently the router tried to update the very moment my service was enabled.  But it failed and then it never tries again.  As there's surely a number of reasons it could fail as the service comes up it's a bit odd it just gives up and doesn't try again.

Small update.  Exactly 2 days after the update the router rebooted itself again, but I haven't noticed it do so since then.  I will sign on to it over the weekend and monitor the uptime status.

In general though it has been MUCH better since the firmware update.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000

That's great news.

Thanks for letting us know.