Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up D-Link modem

Tomdefraine
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all,

Now Vodafone have reluctantly given up the PPPoE details I'm looking to set up a D-Link DSL-320B modem with an ASUS RT-N66U. 

I'm going to use the modem to connect over PPPoE and put the router in bridge mode. 

I have my details but need to check if anyone has the answers to why it won't connect. 

1. Are these settings PPPoE or PPPoA? I also have VC-Mux options which are just confusing me. 

2. Do I need to set the VLAN as different from the default?

3. Does anyone have a similar set up and can they supply screenshots of settings?

At the moment I am just trying to get the D-Link modem to supply a connection without faffing with the router. 

Any help would be gold. 

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Modem only options are a little thin on the ground.  Possibly the easiest it to grab a Openreach VDSL modem from ebay.  There are two types, one by Huawei and one by ECI.  Most try and match the modem with the manufacturer of the fibre cabinet you're connected to - look on the forums on kitx or thinkbroadband for threads on these.  Either way, they should just plug in and work - make sure you do a factory reset to return them to their default setup first.  You'd then use your router to connect via PPPoE.  Remember you'll need to add the VLAN tag of 101.

A number of people I've seen use the Draytek Vigor 130.  The other obvious option is to ditch what you have and buy a combined VDSL modem/router.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

I take it you have just the standard ADSL offering annd not fibre as the modem you have won't work with fibre.

For ADSL, you may want to get the additional details from Vodafone.

To make matters a little more complicated, sometimes Vodafone use a 'throttled fibre' connection instead of and actual ADSL connection.  You may want to check your specific circumstance.

Ah - the modem won't work. That's probably an issue then. I'm on the 70mbps fibre connection. That was just a modem I had lying around - what would you recommend for a modem?

Thanks so much for replying by the way - never would have figured that out. 

Modem only options are a little thin on the ground.  Possibly the easiest it to grab a Openreach VDSL modem from ebay.  There are two types, one by Huawei and one by ECI.  Most try and match the modem with the manufacturer of the fibre cabinet you're connected to - look on the forums on kitx or thinkbroadband for threads on these.  Either way, they should just plug in and work - make sure you do a factory reset to return them to their default setup first.  You'd then use your router to connect via PPPoE.  Remember you'll need to add the VLAN tag of 101.

A number of people I've seen use the Draytek Vigor 130.  The other obvious option is to ditch what you have and buy a combined VDSL modem/router.

Thanks a bunch - hate to be told how much time I've wasted but that's all part of the learning curve! Thanks!