Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VDSL Speeds Dropped

georgeh01
4: Newbie

I'm on Unlimited 76 and have been with Vodafone for about 1 month.
I was told I would get a guaranteed speed of 49mbps, and, on the most part, was recieving this speed. However about 1 week ago while away on holiday, the router/modem restarted itself (by looking at the uptime in Router Settings) and since then speeds have been well bellow what they guaranteed.

Logging into 192.168.1.1 I can see on the overview page that my VDSL line is 42.1 Down and 19.6 Up, and speedtest.net actaully show speeds are down to 30mbps

I spoke to support who tried the usual, factory reset, change microfilter, use test socket etc. but nothing has worked and they are leaning towards blaming a bad phone line and say a Openreach Tech may need to come out for a large fee. I never had these problems with Sky Broadband, and surely the phoneline in my house is either working or its not, it can't be responsible for a slower speed than I should get.

When I first got the Broadband I left it plugged in as instructed for 1 week, so they can do tests on their end and keep increasing speed while keeping the connection stable. I think that when the line disconnected while on holiday that those speed settings reset and now it's put me back down to the minimum, but since then the speeds haven't increased.

Any recommendation on what to do?

5 REPLIES 5

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@georgeh01 the loss of speed will be directly related to the continuous restarts of your router. This issue appears to be down to an update Vodafone pushed out to the router.

There's a thread here about it with various suggestions to getting around the issue though not all of them work for everyone.

I thought that may have been the case, but I'm currently at 3 days of PPP uptime and the speeds haven't improved at all, and the overview page still shows the same VDSL Speeds

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@georgeh01 Are you still in touch with our Broadband team regarding this issue? 

Not really, I got a voicemail from them telling me to book and make an appointment to get a BT/Openreach Tech over to have a look, but I'm hesitant to due to the cost, when actually I think it's a fault with the crappy Router

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@georgeh01 I can understand the position you're currently in. :smileyindifferent:

Have you raised these concerns with our Broadband team directly? 

In this case, they'd be the people who you'd need to talk to regarding this.