Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VodaFone Broadband Wi-Fi losing strength and dropping

TapZxK
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello Community,

I have been constant issues with VodaFone Broadband, specifically Wi-Fi.

I live in a shared household and I'm the account holder for the VodaFone Broadband installed here.

it's a three storey house with Router installed on the 3rd floor and wi-fi extenders (Belkin N300) on the 2nd and Ground floor.

The issue is following: wifi will work fine and then it will get weaker, for example streaming youtube on the phone the video will start to buffer and eventually wi-fi signal will disappear completely. (Phone, Tablet or any other device will lose the connection.)

This is occuring about once every hour an takes around good 10 minutes for wi-fi to regain it's previous strength.

This is happening at all times, even if I have 1 device connected to the wi-fi and I'm alone at house.

Maximum amount of devices that are connected to this wi-fi is 6 and it's very rare, ussualy there are 4, no Laptops, only phones and tablets.

There are no downloads taking place during the cut in the signal. as mentioned above I have tested this when I have a day off, I'm alone at house, with just my iPad connected.

I have to say that Wi-Fi range extenders (Belkin N300) also keep losing the signal to the main Wi-Fi.

We Have Vodafone Broadband (up to 74Mb) installed Since November 2016 and issue started about 2 weeks in to the contract.

No issues with the LAN connection.

Previously we had PlusNet, with speeds of up to only 17MB and didn't have any issues with wi-fi. router was installed in the EXACTLY same spot.

Any Help will be much appreciated as my house mates are not happy with this and to be honest I can't justify paying the price for what we get.

As mentioned above, there were no issues with previous ISP with the equipment installed in exactly the same locations.

Best Regards,

TapZxK

10 REPLIES 10

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TapZxK I can see you've mentioned what package you're on, have you completed a speed test to see what speeds you're currently receiving? 

Have you had a chance to speak to our dedicated Broadband Live Chat team about this? Or alternatively, call us on 08080 034511 (free from UK mobiles and landlines).

Hi Alex,

We have "Unlimited Fibre 76"

I have completed speed tests, on LAN they are in between - 30mb - 62mb

On wireless devices they are in between 1mb - 54mb

I have reset the wireless router and Range extenders to no avail.

I have contacted the team over the phone a bout a month ago, they advised to switch the channels - done, reset router - done - no avail. same issues occuring.

was advised that if an engineer is called out and no issue with line is found I will be charged £200

not the service I would expect from such a big company as Vodafone.

Regards,

TapZxK

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TapZxK A quick and easy way to see if there's a problem with your line is to unplug your router from the master socket. 

If you unscrew the face plate of your master socket, you'll find your test socket underneath. 

Plug your router into this test socket and when reconnected, complete a new speed test to compare your results and post them back to here.

This will also determine whether there is an issue with your master socket. 

If you need further assistance with this, our Broadband Live Chat team will be able to help. 

Let us know how you get on. :smileyhappy:

Have you seen all the other posts showing the BB drop outs? there are many posts here.

If the router is dropping out/playing up, it will disconnect the range extenders - which might still show they are up.

Amongst the drop outs, restarts, poor wifi range was an issue - but usually at the extreme of range the wifi single would jump around and speed be slow until it crashed (or crashed on larger downloads)

I bet your suffering similar

Hi,

The Wi-Fi speeds are poor even when Wi-Fi signal is at full strength,

it appears that VodaFone Routers are not great.

Picture of Wi-Fi Speedtest attached.

I have couple of very unhappy housemates and I can't say that I'm over the moon.

LAN speed is absoultely fine. See Attached.

Vodafone, what are the suggestions? I'm close to terminating the contract with you as the service provided is not fit for use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your router settings, go to WiFi and seperate the WiFi Bands. Connect your iPhone to the new 5GHz only one you just created and re-run the speed tests. Please let me know if this works better :Smiling:

I keep saying to Vodafone there's some kind of manufacturing fault with the part of the router that deals exclusively with the 2.4GHz WiFi Network but 5 routers later and they wouldn't take it. There's a problem for some reason when a high volume of users on the 2.4GHz network (old laptops/devices etc) and for some reason it just burns out and doesnt return back to normal. 

Alex,

see screen shot below.

this has happaned 4 times already today, and at least once a day in the past week.

This is on top of Wi-Fi issues.

How can we sort this out please?

I'm shocked about the level Vodafone broadband service.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TapZxK

I can see you were previously advised to speak with our Broadband Live Chat team. Were you able to do this?

If so, please let us know what was advised and we can offer further help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you only joined Vodafone broadband recently - this behaviour is not uncommon.

In the first 10-30 days, all phone line internet connections do an automatic line test which frequently checks to see if you're on the fastest possible speed. This is an openreach thing and it happens across all broadband providers and is generally nothing to worry about. 

Basically what is happening is your phone line is disconnecting and connecting again at a faster speed, checking if it's stable and then increasing again until it reaches the fastest stable speed.

I would say that this is nothing to worry about - it's just based on your actual line for how long this goes on for. Generally it's only for 10 days but can sometimes be longer if it detects a faster speed is possible.