Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Connect Router issues

abates85
4: Newbie

My vodafone broadband was installed today and setting up my home ive come across the following issues.

1. My Laptop connected on the Wifi 5Ghz channel cannot see my Server connected by LAN Cable, if i disable the 5ghz band i can see the server fine but it reduces the functionality of the router.

2. I cannot connect to a device via port forwarding using the external router IP from within the network. however i can access the device from outside the network.

3. My fibre broadband speed is significantly slower (28MB) than the service i was recieving with sky (40MB) even thoughi was promised full (76MB) speed

has anyone else had these issues and can provide assistance ?

138 REPLIES 138

laviscus
2: Seeker
I have the same issue with plex, works fine outside of the LAN or if I split the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID and use the 2.4GHz only. If I have a combined SSID or use the 5GHz SSID I can't connect.

laviscus
Ade963,

Did you use a Windows homegroup to share your printer? If so, my understanding is the homegroup needs IPv6 to work and the Vodafone router only supports IPv4.

laviscus

AH HA!!

Thank you laviscus, you are right I was using a Windows homegoup and I didn't realize that IPv6 doesn't work with the Vodafone router.

At least now I can try something else.

Thanks for your help.

laviscus
I know it's crazy how any company who wants to be a major player in the home broadband market can release router firmware that doesn't support IPv6 is beyond me.

I'd like to say this will get sorted soon but apparently it's been an issue for quite a while and not been sorted. I wish I'd known this when i signed up, I'll be voting with my feet when my contract expires.

@laviscus wrote:
I wish I'd known this when i signed up

Me too as I'm still stuck.

Dave-B
1: Seeker

I've seen this post and have the same issues having recently switched from Plusnet to Vodafone.

I always got 37Mbps downloads with my previous provider on wi-fi and cable wherever I was in the house.

This new router from Vodafone ois supposed to offer me 40Mbps but gets abut 35Mbps when wired directly from my laptop to the router.

When using wifi with my laptop directly next to the router i can get around 30Mbps but take it back to my office upstairs and this drops to 5Mbps.

My pc which has never left the office gets around 28Mbps through my TP-Link AV500 powerline although speeds can drop by 10Mbps on a regular basis. I can only get around 19 Mbps on wi-fi which is a big dissappointment after moving to Vodafone having dropped from from 37Mbps by my previous providers system.

I've contacted Vodafone, they checked my line,  reported a fault which according to the engineers was fixed, Vodafone have checked and advised that i have a very stable connection so i can only presume that the router is a peice of rubbish or faulty. Vodafone gave me instructions on how to switch the channel and although I have doe this with channel 10 offering the best performance, it is still nowhere near what I had before.

Is there a solution that either I or Vodafone havent considered?

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dave-B

Thanks for getting in touch. 

We'll need to look into this further, to check that the previous issue has been sorted. 

Please come and speak to the Home Broadband team on Live Chat

Thanks,

I've already posted on other replies to issues on this forum but in short mine continue....  As mentioned already I also suffer from the router 'rebooting' randomly - mainly noticed when gaming although WIFI obviously also experience drop outs.  Mobile devices remain 'connected' but on checking the router the red light is flashing going through some kind of cycle for around 5mins.  Rather annoying when you're mid flow in a game you've paid for premium time for....

I ended up bridging to an Apple Extreme (yep, there goes my money saving too) and initially this seem to resolve the issue but after 5 days it all returned again.  I got fed up of contacting support so just put up with it for another 6 months before calling in the other day only to be told as I've got it all bridged they won't do anything.  None of the 'drops' can be seen by tech support so as far as they're concerned all is hunky dory.  Hugely frustrated and trying my best not to become bitter about it (real world problems!) but I did ask to cancel and was told I needed to pay up the remainder of my deal to November.  Oh, and I'm still on the wrong contract despite pointing this out in September.  Shame on me for not looking at my bill every month!

Any suggestions for best setup for lag/jitter gratefully accepted.  Roll on November....

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@malbrecht23 As we don't support the use of third party routers, we'd be unable to advise you further.

Hi Natasha,

I haven't replaced the Vodafone device, I was purely bridging to it.  As it happens following the guidance received at the weekend I'm now back on the original setup so that I can attempt to prove the issues I'm encountering.  How I do this is a mystery to me though.  I'm afraid the lack of technical response is rather frustrating.  Do any of the second or even third line resources ever review or respond? 

It's very clear that this service is not suitable for those households with a higher than average internet use.