Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Connect router does not connect to VNC server

mw8523
4: Newbie

Hi - I have recenetly installed a Vodafone Connect router. I have a reaspberrypi in my home network which is plugged in via Ethernet. I have the Connect router acting as gateway and DHCP server and I also have a Netgear WAC120 as a WiFi access point to extend my WiFi coverage. The Connect router is configured to use split SSID with 2.4 GHz running on a specific channel and 5 GHz running on a specific channel as well. My WAC120 AP is configured in the same way using the same channels and SSID names.

All works well except when trying to connect to my raspberrypi. I need to use VNC to connect to it and it all works when I'm near my AP but when I'm near the Conect router my VNC attempt just times out. However, when I'm close to the Connect router and try to connect to my raspberrypi via the cloud then it works.

All this used to work before I installed the Vodafone Connect router. I was with BT previously and had a BT Home Hub 5 configured in the same way as my Connect router and I had no problems connecting to VNC.

8 REPLIES 8

mw8523
4: Newbie

I have changed the router so it only uses 5 GHz as I thought that maybe there is an issue with running it with split SSIDs. However, this make no difference. Still, I can connect using VNC if I'm near my AP but when I'm near the Connect router I get an error message saying "there is no route to the host".

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mw8523 For further assistance with this, you can call 08080 034 515 for broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

I phoned Vodafone support and they explained that what I'm trying to do is "advanced networking" which isn't suported by Vodafone - go figure ...

I found this after a bit of searching:

'VODAFONE CONNECT' BROADBAND AND HOME PHONE SERVICES NOW AVAILABLE TO VODAFONE UK CUSTOMERS

Vodafone Connect Router description

The Vodafone Connect Router is a powerful router for both standard and advanced users with plenty of innovative features. The Vodafone Connect Router caters for ADSL2+/VDSL2 and Fibre connections.

Also, Vodafone think their router is "the best in the business"

5 things worth knowing about Vodafone Broadband’s future-proof router

“This router is future proof,” Nik says proudly. “Today it supports fibre and it also has best-in-class WiFi that supports a lot of older standards, but it also has the ability and the hardware to support what’s coming next.” And what is coming next? “Well, you’ll just have to wait and see.”

[...]

So there you go: five reasons why our router is the best in the business.

MrWhite
10: Established

Is your Rasberry Pi hardwired to the router or similar or is that using wifi too?

It's connected via Ethernet cable - not directly to my router but to a SamKnows Whitebox.

Connect router ---- SamKnows ---- raspi
                       |---- rest of my LAN

MrWhite

Hi,

There's a current issue with the router's firmware that prevents traffic from the wifi talking to devices on the LAN.  If I understand your set up, then your access point is connected to the Connect router via LAN?  If so, this is why it works (Wifi -> AP LAN -> Connect LAN -> Rasberry Pi) rather than when you connect via the vodafone router's wifi (Wifi -> Connect LAN -> Rasberry Pi).

There's a number of other posts covering this:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Vodafone-Broadband-Router-WiFi-devices-cannot-a...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Vodafone-Broadband-Router-Connect-Router-Techni...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Vodafone-Connect-Router-issues/m-p/2524109

Ah - that explains it then; yes, indeed, my AP is wired into my LAN. Thanks for pointing me to those other threads.