Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

dynamick
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
373 REPLIES 373

crowster80
4: Newbie
Not sure I follow I want to use all ap plus the vodafone modem by your explanation it sounds as if I will not be able to use the ap to access sonos ?

jaysy
No no it's fine on the AP side as to connect router all AP devices are show as LAN side devices right.

Therefore I think u have the same problem as me ... Sonos when on VF connect wifi doesn't work ...(I have diff Sonos hanging off my APs which all have the same SSID for seamless wifi )
But I cannot connect to them when on connect wifi (after I have triggered the issue)

It's not a Sonos issue as it's the same with other devices I have that I want to control via a wireless device (iPhone)

What I am saying is it does all work from a clean start ... I can hit my entire network fine from iPhone and everything works if I don't leave the connect range when it finishes firing up.

Once u confirm that u are up and ok and access is good.
With your controller iPhone or whatever you use ... as soon as you hit an AP range for the first time with your controlling device (Sonos still working) and then go back to Vf connect it fails at that point rejoining Vf connect (that's my trigger for it failing... As it doesn't re-establish the connectivity it had before).

From that point it will never work on connect - but does still work on all my APs if I return to their range ( which I believe is what you are seeing).
Only way to restore connectivity is to reboot connect or unplug my APs from connect and then re plug in.

So if I don't leave connect range from clean start its fine and will work and stay working fine
However as I need APs to cover my house like yourself so clearly not practical to only ever stay in one place and never let the device leave connect range ... Ever....

APs work for Sonos all the time as it will be on the LAN side/bridge of the router... So as long as you are on that side with your controller it's fine.
lan side of connect > connect wifi is fine
Connect Wifi > LAN of it is not once issue is triggered...
And why you cannot connect to Sonos.

That's what I can work out anyway it has to be a router issue and how it's handling the the fact as far as connect sees it ... You have been handed over on the connect router from wifi to lan (AP wifi) and then back again to connect wifi.
Waiting to be proved otherwise but that's how I see it.

That's exactly the symptoms I have jaysy, so i can confirm it's not just you. All works fine from a clean start, and moving from Vf Wifi to AP Wifi still works, but as soon as you try to move back to Vf Wifi controller can't find Sonos (android, ios, win).

I went through extensive diagnosis with Sonos tech support, who were very helpful and knowledgeable, but we ended up concluding it was the Vodafone router.

Vodafone don't seem to have an accessible way to log problems like this, nor do they monitor these forums apparently, so I'm resigned to live with it until I can move to another provider.

jaysy
Great I will update
I have collected all logs and network tracing for support..

I had a workaround in awaiting new firmware which still didn't fix it hence reported it.

Hopefully can get it sorted will feedback leave it with me

crowster80
Your explanation is bang on.. exactly what I am experiencing

I can't comment on any issue regarding Sonos as that's not been the problem I had. My apologies in advance if this post is simplistic compared to the issues you guys are having, but it proved to be the resolution for me. Using a wifi analyzer app on my android phone I discovered that the VF router was only broadcasting on 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz AND 5Ghz. 'Newer' devices (Android and Mac basically) would connect via 5Ghz wi-fi but 'older' devices (Windows PCs etc) wouldn't connect via wi-fi because they couldn't use 5Ghz - although clearly they would connect via LAN. Vodafone sent me a newer, up to date router and 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz both worked. Can't comment on firmware versions etc. Hope this helps?

jaysy
I have the original white router..
Mine is the other way round... Since the new FW you can split the SSID on the bands... So I named them different to take that out the equation with the issue I have... If I look now in avail networks the 5ghz isn't there.. Not sure if it does one if it doesn't get a connection ever?? Anyway will check into that another time

SInce the new FW update i can now use my Sky Q app.

before it just refused to connect over wireless to a wired sky box.

yes there were fixes in the latest FW for some connectivity to LAN issues which is why its now working for you.

If you only use your VF connect router in your house then the latest FW is good and should operate fine.

However if like some of us here you have additional APs to provide a strong wifi coverage accross your house then this is where the latest FW hasnt fixed eveyrthing and there are still issues are with networking present and handover/switching.

update on this AP issue: Been recreated by support so hopefully now they can see it, therefore can fix it

Just to chime in here with my experience. I have solid granite partition walls and with that the router WiFi cannot extend past my kitchen so I ran some CAT5 through to the rest of the house.

I can confirm that when connected via WiFi on the VF router I cannot see the computers / devices on the LAN side. As others have mentioned in this thread I can see them if the computer / device is joined to the VF WiFi when the VF router boots up, but after moving the computer through and then back again the VF WiFi somehow loses the route. Forever.

Is it me? The "expert" mode is pretty laughable, though I get the need to dumb it down to cover the majority of users needs and cut down on user generated issues. While I'm hopeful this will be fixed soon, this is a pretty basic use case scenario and nothing in the router interface can help me diagnose the issue (until I found this thread).

I can't tell if the router is working in WiFi isolation mode, I can't see its ARP table, there is no Telnet access, I can't even tell it that I have an internal DNS server as it only seems to allow externals ones.. it's all a bit cut off!

I have had to disable the VF WiFi and add *another* router plugged into the LAN port of the VF router to get access to the rest of my network. Come on VodaFone, I realise it's teething problems but please sort this out!