Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

dynamick
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
373 REPLIES 373

Same issue whereby cannot ping from/ to Win7 wifi machine and LAN cable connected win10. After reading about wifi frequencies I used the split frequency function. Bang, ping works between 2.4GHz wifi and LAN - not tried 5GHz devices yet, but thanks for flagging this!

I am also having nearly all the problem described here. Wireless Sonos controllers can't find system when it is hard wired but works fine when Sonos is connected via wireless. Can't print to wireless printer from wired PC but can from all wireless devices, can only access WDCLOUD NAS from wired devices, full house of symptoms 😞 .  I am on what I believe is the latest firmware 5.4.8.1.271.1.59.  Have done many tests at ping level with various connection methods and it is definitely an isolation issue between wired and wireless networks.  I am using split 2.4 and 5 GZ SSIDs and they can talk to each other but neither can talk to wired devices.  Have tried sharing, DNLA etc on and off on the router with no effect. Sometimes a router restart will fix the Sonos issue temporarily (as previous post have noted) but never for long. Vodafone this router AP isolation issue  needs to be fixed please as the last update has not done the job for all of us!

Ok, so reading back through some of the recent posts here again I have narrowed it down a bit further and it seems to be 5Ghz related. I was running with "split SSID" turned on (same SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and in this mode there is always total isolation between wireless and wired devices. If I turn this off and set the single SSID to be 2.4/5Ghz then the situation improves and some wireless devices can see the wired ones. I wasn't able to find a pattern to which ones, it was not as simple as 2.4 could and 5 couldn't but I am sure there must be a pattern there somewhere. It still isn't ideal though as devices were hit and miss.  But when I run it with split SSID off and the frequency set to just 2.4 Ghz voila! everything can reliably communicate between wired and wireless. Clearly this is a work around as setup like this I am getting none of the benefits of the faster 5Ghz technology but at least  it is a workable solution while Vodafone sort the issue out.  It also may explain why people who were not having a problem before the last Firmware upgrade (that introduced the SSID separation feature) are now having problems. 

So in summary, the problem seems to be with AP isolation when using the 5Ghz frequency and/or split SSIDs.  If someone else who still having the problem could try turning off split SSID and forcing 2.4Ghz and report back then maybe we could confirm my findings .

Thanks

Pete

Pete, do you not think its disgusting you are paying for this disservice?

I have about 6 months to go, lesson learnt despite firmware upgrade(s).

Indeed, but in the absents of Vodafone taking any notice or doing anything about it, and currently having no option but to stay with them, I am just glad that we seem to have collectively managed to find some work around (all be it performance limiting)  that doesn't involve shelling out more money for a decent router to "front" the Wifi, which up until  last night,was looking like my only option

Do any Vodafone reps monitoring this thread have anything to say on when we can expect a full fix for this fundamentally limiting issue please? 

Cheers

Pete

Hi. I am having this issue. I set the single SSID to 2.4 GHz but sadly this stopped all Wi fi working. I corrected this with a reset of the router, but of corse the frequency was then reset back to 2.4/5 ! Not sure what to try now!

That is really odd as 2.4 should be the more common/default choice for a lot of devices and any 5Ghz ones should have been able to drop back to work on 2.4.  All I can think is maybe your router got its  knickers in a twist (now there is a highly technical term!) and didn't bring the Wifi back up properly until you reset it.  The only thing I could suggest is to connect a laptop directly to the router with a LAN cable and try again,  that way you will be able to access it and see what is going on even if the Wifi drops off again  and also revert the settings without needing to do a full reset. Definitely something extra odd going on with yours though if it won't run Wifi at 2.4Ghz.....

Thanks PeteB01. Making the change to the wi-fi settings from a PC connected via ethernet worked. After restarting the router I was able to connect via wifi and also see my LAN connected devices

EDIT - 26/10/16 - I can no longer see my LAN connected devices from a laptop connected via Wifi. The router settings are still "No Split ID" and Wifi is set to 2.4 gHz. 

I guess its a reboot of the router to start with!

Glad it worked for you as well.  Looks like we could be onto a work around.

I am pleased you are happy that you have found a workaround. However, it should be unnecessary so don't forget that whilst rejoicing.