Support:

Chill lounge

Ask a question:
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj
Accepted Solution

Apple strikes again!!!!

[ Edited ]
well in the dirty trick campine apple winns this time its a patent on a software idea and this time they have managed to block the new HTC on x ftom going to the USA. but this was not done at HTC but at the docs so htc could not even do any thing to there device as Apple blocked them at the port yet again how low apple will go to
see
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/so-it-begins-apples-victory-affecting-htcs-us-imports/

Message 1 of 596 (16,580 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
stuartwilson

Re: Apple strikes again!!!!

To be honest with u I think they have a point with all there law suits just look for yourself android before iPhone & then android after iPhone I think everybody will see.
Message 2 of 596 (16,570 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

You do not see any other company world wide doing this 

They no exacly what there doing what do they think HTC customers in the USA are going to do go out and buy a outdated product 

Errrrr No 

Apple is in far to much trouble to be pulling stunts like this 

They had ample time to stop this, what they have done is to anger Networks as these devices were all sold 

Now networks that Apple need are now having to cancel contracts 

If this is Apples attempt to dominate the smartphone world its the wrong way to do it, Now there closing the door to USA customers on a phone that beets there's is that fare NO!

Plus there is the Software patent argument well Android is winning that

Android is a Open sauce software and has many manufactures

Apple has one and is one manufacture  

I new this would anger the apple faithfull posts like this all ways do, But this was not a Android Aplle battle this post was about Apple banning a phone it could of been a windows device, its the way they have done this stopping it at the Docks 

So the Networks customers don't get there handsets 

si is Apple thinking they will run out and buy a iphone errrrrr nope 

Message 3 of 596 (16,559 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

You sound like Apple fanbois when they talk about Microsoft.

In either case the prejudice is exagerrated and far too intense. Apple are doing the same thing as any company would do, and has done, when they have an opportunity to dominate the world they live in - Microsoft, News International, Exxon etc etc. The list is endless and to a greater or lesser extent all corporations would stifle customer choice and innovation given half a chance.

The simple fact is that the iPhone is still the standard by which all smart phones are judged. Also all companies are now involved in the patent wars - Apple, samsung, HTC and Google/Motorola.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 4 of 596 (16,556 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Apple can try all they want 

They might of set the standad many years ago 

Henry Ford did this with the Moter car, But you don't see Ford Bloking Cars at a dock because they have four wheels 

Many companise embrass compatition 

Apple does not 

They want to be the only smart phone and the inly tablet and the only laptop and TV

whats next the world , Apple should not be aloud to dictate how the world runs, Thankfully in the UK they carn't pull the same trick i wonder what will happen when there so called new iphone comes out 

People are getting wise to Apple but Apple are just carrying on 

t some point it will come to a head 

Networks are not Happy with Apple and there the one's that sell there phones 

I could understand if there was a design problem but this is software and this is allready on other devices that they have seen at apple and approved 

Apple yet again in Court 

Message 5 of 596 (16,548 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

jeffkinn wrote:

The simple fact is that the iPhone is still the standard by which all smart phones are judged.

I don't think this is the case anymore!

Apple have been caught napping... The S4 was too little too late. The rest of the Mobile world has moved on in leaps and bounds.

Apple are now trying to copy Android with the Pull Down Blind! (Not too obvious where that came from.)

Also Siri - Android has had voice command and search since day one. All Apple have done is repackage it and give it a name.

The first iPhone was ground breaking - No argument!

Since then, I'm sorry the innovation has been minimal if not almost non existant.

How can you patent the concept of how something works?

Next they will claim they invented the phones ON/OFF button...!

These are the actions of a company running scared! In my opinion.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

Autism_sig.png

Message 6 of 596 (16,540 Views)
jeffkinn

I agree that Apple copies innovation - that has always been the case. Apple didn't invent the GUI computer interface any more than Microsoft did.

But running scared? The most valuable company in the planet! - do you really believe that?

The launch of the Galaxy S3 has clearly generated enormous interest and has 9 million pre-orders - incredible.

But I still believe that the hype and speculation surrounding the launch of the next iPhone is far in excess of other product launches. The phone when it finally appears may or may not justify that hype - the 4S was definitely a let down - but I read similar sentiments in reviews of the S3.

The point I am really making I suppose is that the passion that Apple/Android/Microsoft fans is so intense that it blinds some people to the objective realities of life. And after all - it is only a bloody phone, not the cure for cancer. :smileyhappy: 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 7 of 596 (16,532 Views)
NY
Rank 2: First Poster
NY

And in fairness, if you intend spending more than a couple of million bucks getting distribution deals and marketing campaigns done with a regional partner for a big product launch, spending a couple of hundred thou' on some in depth legal compliance checks seems worth the spend? And anyway, I'm sure Apple shareholders'd consider a retrospective slice of the pie if the manufacturers could all sit around the table and work something out. That'd get all the Apple haters really riled... paying them with the Htc they bought to snub them with, haha!
Don't really like Android so don't have anything of worth to add here.
Message 8 of 596 (16,527 Views)
Northern-dj

never would of guessed !!!! yep it is a phone not worth standing out side in the rain for just to be the first to sell it on ebay. all android users have a life out side of there phone, but apple does not want that they want there phone to be used at all times.
well if you want that each to there own, Android is not fused
but Apple is !!!!!

Message 9 of 596 (16,515 Views)
jeffkinn

N-DJ - I don't really want to respond to this as it is won't go anywhere but downhill,  but I feel I have to.

To characterise iPhone users as having no life while Android users have a proper life is just silly isn't it? Its the sort of quasi-religious talk that often comes up in these dicussions.

I have an iPhone and I can assure you I have a life. I know lots of iPhone users and they have proper lives as well. I don't know anyone who has queued up at an Apple store to get an iPhone or any other Apple product. I'm sure plenty of people will be descending upon Samsung in the Westfield shopping centre to get their pre-orders Galaxy S3.

Are the people at Google saints? Are they not in a heap of trouble with the EU because of their 'non-privacy' privacy policy after having swiped peoples Wi Fi data while compiling Street-View? The fact is that these giant tech companies all abuse their position in the market becuase they think they can. Goodness knows what Facebook will try and get up to in the next two years to generate profits now it has to answer to the market.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 10 of 596 (16,497 Views)
Northern-dj

"Are the people at Google saints? Are they not in a heap of trouble with the EU because of their 'non-privacy' privacy policy after having swiped peoples Wi Fi data while compiling Street-View? The fact is that these giant tech companies all abuse their position in the market becuase they think they can. Goodness knows what Facebook will try and get up to in the next two years to generate profits now it has to answer to the market."

Thats the Google search team the original team not Android!!!

Don't Forget Apple still use Google to Power siri 

yes the coment about haveing a life was a bit Harch  sorry about that.

but this is because i have seen two of my best mates change when they got a Iphone before they had Blackberys and then they just txt and phoned people

when they got the Iphone they blanked every one out it came to a head when one of my mates phone died, It was like some one had died, The Guy was iLL

His wife bought him a HTC senstation we now have him back, even his wife has noticed

My other mats has Now got a Note and has made the move

Don't get me wrong I'm a X Apple user (Iphone 3S) there hardware is secound to none

There tablets are very good, and there Laptops are a good bit of kit, There iPOD touch is still the top medis player

I just think the move to Phones was a mistake for Apple

plus all there current inivation seems to be in Laptops which are well respected for

HP has brought a almost identical laptop but Apple have done nothing on that

So it Looks like One side of Apple is a Bad Apple  

Message 11 of 596 (16,485 Views)
jeffkinn

I would never buy an Apple computer as they are far too expensive and as a predominantly business user they are non standard and not compatible (that will get the Apple fanbois writing back!). The fact that  only 5% of computer users are not buying Apple macs is proof that they are a marginla player in computing.

The same is not true of smart phones along with iPods and iPads - they are still hugely expensive but they have done things no one else has done. In phones, that is clearly no longer true and Android phones are now very popular, and I'm sure quite rightly so.

I can understand why people use iPhones far more than Blackberrys - they do a lot more and that is why RIM is suffering. 

I'm still debating within myself about moving to the Galaxy S3 and at this point have decided to wait until the Apple WWDC next month to see what comes out of that.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 12 of 596 (16,482 Views)
NY
Rank 2: First Poster
NY

And for the sake of objectivity, I should point out I use Nokia devices exclusively - a hanful of S40s and a 700 recently joined the stable too. Apple doesn't appeal to me any more than Android.
Message 13 of 596 (16,476 Views)
Rank 27: Mentor I
_365_

I'm always amused by the way people talk about "waiting for the next iPhone"...people were discussing the 'iPhone 5' the second the iPhone 4s was announced - Apple's business model of a new iPhone every 12 months makes them so predictable, and looking at the "leaps" forward from 3-3gs-4-4s we kinda know what the 5 will bring...lots of publicity, lots of hype, a cool new feature (that is already out on other makes), and some dissappointment over some features that the users would have liked to see...

...but its OK, coz its not long before the iPhone 6 is out...  :smileywink:

I too was an iPhone fan - not at first as in my opinion it wasnt that great, but Apple deemed it necessary to force one into my hand and, never one to shy away from free stuff, i used it and got caught up in it all! But then getting a 4 was a huge disappointment to me...it offered nothing new in my eyes and a nicely timed Samsung launch tempted me without too much trouble...now? I still find new things almost daily on my s2 and i can almost "make it a new phone" every so often with new apps/homescreens/ICS etc

Anyway its taken me that long to type this that were even closer to the announcement of the new iPhone 7...

Message 14 of 596 (16,472 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Hey we don't want to upset the Apple fanboys 

They are just recovering from a Big virus attack, the main Apple users I no have put windows on to be compatible 

The war between the mobile phone would needs to stop 

Patents were never herd off up until Apple played that role 

There now looking at software this is a major worry for Software developers 

The court case Android is in is well a Joke and will finish as the Judge commented on what Oracle is complaining about that his eight year old son could of done that 

Were as Apples court cases are more Bigger as there not other companies Apple is trying to put a lid on them 

But 

Three countries are taking Apple to court 

One even being the USA on Price fixing 

The other to is mis representation on a advert (4G)

With all that they want to bring out a new Phone Ummmmmm 

If they played ball with other manufacture then they would help them 

Samsung made a lot of parts for Apple has now pulled out, Apple are now doing there own 

The first being the Ipad 3 screen 

Other manufacturer's do help each other 

Apple like playing on there own 

We shall see how this plans out 

Message 15 of 596 (16,469 Views)
jeffkinn

The iPhone 4 was and still is my first iPhone. The 4S was nothing worth upgrading to. I am getting close to upgrade time again and so I can wait to see what happens at WWDC next month and if I decide to go for the S3 there might be some in stock by that time. Apple are masterful at manipulating expectations and whetting the media's appetite. I enjoy the speculation and listening to people's views and winding them up a little.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 16 of 596 (16,468 Views)
Rank 15: Guide IV
dcarmi

The whole "who is suing whom" for the latest patent infringment saga, is frankly tiresome. It seems the only real loser is the customer, who eventually has to pay for the cost of the legal teams needed for such activities.

Apple main problem however, is not directly related to patents. The real issue is maintaining their image.

The company was transformed from being a basket case to the most valuable in the world by classy design, careful though to user interaction, decent quality control and a very very clever marketing. The company does not have a great deal of depth and is reliant on relatively few "flagship" products. What happens if one of their flagship products fails?

For example, the iPhone 4s sold in very decent numbers for a superb profit on each handset. Generally is was received well enough but with a hint of disappointment. The new iPad again was deemed good but not quite as innovative as hoped for.

What happens if the iPhone5 is less than awsome (hate that word)? What happens if the new new iPad is just a bit of an upgrade over the old new iPad. Will AppleTV take off? How actually locked into the ecosystem are people? If they are not already iTunes users, do people really see iTunes as an ecosystem they want to get locked into?

So if the iPhone5 were to be a bit "OK-ish" and perhaps the new new iPad is "fine" what happens to the Apple share price? If it were to start to slide, just how fast would investors bail out and take some profits? Apple aren't exactly renowned for their generosity to shareholders. The profit to Apple investors come from the huge increases in share prices we have seen in recent years and the prime reason for being for any traded company is to make money for its shareholders.

Apple is a big tiger and probably one whose tail you should be wary of.

Message 17 of 596 (16,450 Views)
jeffkinn

That is actually quite amusing - good find. Almost as good as the One Ronnie 'My Blackberry isn't Working sketch'. For anyone who hasn't seen it here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmhF1rqaZk

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 18 of 596 (16,449 Views)
jeffkinn

Apple now actually has quite a depth of products compared to earlier in its life cycle - iPads, iPhones, iPods as well as computers. And although their share of the computer market is relatively small, it doesn't need to increase by much to maintain fantastic profits. Investors will not be bailing out anytime soon.

But most companies do have a life cycle and there was a time when it was unthinkable for Palm or RIM to go out of favour. Before that we had DEC and Compaq.

The new iPhone, whenever it appears, will inevitably disappoint some as it will continue to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary - much like the already successful Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've never understood why Microsoft has engendered such invective (another company with a limited but hugely successful product range) against it and I don't understand why Apple now finds itself in a similar position in some quarters.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 19 of 596 (16,445 Views)
Rank 15: Guide IV
dcarmi

Apple markets its products as aspirational ones. i.e. they are the best and bought by those who can afford and desired by those who can't. Their core portfolio is actually quite small basically one phone, one tablet and some computers. The mp3 market is not hugely profitable but necessary for the short term. The rest of the stuff is old models and things that have not quite taken off yet (e.g. AppleTV).

They have no business presence to speak of (they killed of their failed attempt at server infrastructure). All they have is some consumer infrastructure that is partly well done but increasingly replicated by everyone and his dog and usually with fewer restrictions

It is the fact that these are products that people have to have or have to get the latest of that drives the company. The market value of Apple is 4% of US GDP which is a lot. Not as big as Cisco was before it crashed but still big. Apple have been able to manage a downward trend of its share price reducing the value of the company by about $100 billion in the past few months.

This year is the first year Apple will pay its shareholders a dividend, since 1995 (albeit a small one). So in all that time the only source of income for those investing in Apple was the increase in value of the shares and a pretty good increase it has been.

The danger to Apple is that people cease to see them as the only cool manufacturer. To be fair there aren't that many contenders out there, but another slightly disappointing iPhone might be one too far. The one saving grace they have is the Chinese market. If they can crack that then there will be sales galore.

Personally, I am no fan of the Apple stuff but I think it important that they survive and compete. I don't want a Google monopoly and Apple have been a force for good in pushing the boundaries in design and competence. I just wish they'd shut up for a bit and get on with it!  Afterall there is only so many ways you can slice a slab of glass and generally iPhone people aren't so thick as to confuse the Apple App Store with the Amazon Appstore.

Message 20 of 596 (16,419 Views)