Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Formula One 2011 Discussion Thread

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)

Morning All,

I don't know about any of you, but I'm starting to get really excited for the new F1 season which is just around the corner!

Forums I've used in the past have always had an F1 thread the members can use to talk about any news, upcoming races and so on, so now we have this off topic section, I thought I'd create one here too!

So, who do you follow and what are your hopes for the coming season?

I'm a die-hard McLaren fan, so am eagerly awaiting the new car launch on 4th February. From what the team were saying when I visited the MTC back in November, this should be a competitive year, so I'm hoping for Lewis to win his second championship.

110 REPLIES 110

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

A Ban on Qualifying Engine Mapping - (Exhaust gasses pushed over rear diffuser even when throttle not used)

Will this reduce Red Bulls hold?

@thesoupdragon wrote:

A Ban on Qualifying Engine Mapping - (Exhaust gasses pushed over rear diffuser even when throttle not used)

Will this reduce Red Bulls hold?

Apparently not :smileysad:

Though that was easily the most boring race of the season, hate to say it but I was nodding off mid way through the race and I've not done that for a few years.

Hope to see a big performance improvement in 2 weeks.

thesoupdragon

@dnairb001 wrote:
Though that was easily the most boring race of the season, hate to say it but I was nodding off mid way through the race and I've not done that for a few years.

Hope to see a big performance improvement in 2 weeks.

Oh! has it finished? I didn't notice...

Seriously, the worst spectator track of the whole Calendar. :smileysad:

RetiredTom
I actually fell asleep.

Nabs

Quick update on the official F1 2011 game. A teaser/trailer has been released showing some gameplay.

JD

It looks amazing. I had 2010 which was brilliant but traded it in when i couldn't win a race with all assists and very easy selected :Sad_face:

RetiredTom
Don't take pity on JD everyone, he's terrible at all racing games, not just F1 :Laughing_Face:

Nabs

I can't manage it on expert either, the only thing that lets me down is manual gears, I just cant do them. Everything else is set to expert though:smileyhappy:

I think 2011 will be a little more difficult, i believe they have tweaked the AI to be more realistic + tyre wear will play much bigger part 

@Tom how did you get on with the 2010 game?

thesoupdragon

Things have come a long way since Ridge Racer... Thumbs up smiley.gif

RetiredTom
I liked it but got bored quickly- I don't think the DIRT game engine suits a race sim very well, it's too jittery for a realistic game in my opinion. I love Race Driver GRID and similar games, but I think it sacrifices detail for a smooth, moody finish. I'd rather have a more Forza-3-esque look, 60FPS and stunning detail, with not so many effects.

Last year was a poor year for racing games IMO, and racing is my favourite genre. I bought F1 2010, TDU2 and NFS Hot Pursuit and had got rid of them all by January. I still find far more entertainment in GRID or Burnout Paradise, or of course Forza 3.

I think F1 2011 has the potential to be quite dull if it's just a development on last year's with the new coloured cars. Even DRS and KERS won't really make a difference I don't think.

What I'd like to see is unlockable or purchasable extra content- retro versions of the current tracks or even venues which don't host events any more (Magny Cours, A1 Ring and Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez please - and yes, I Googled the name of the third one!) I think purchasable content is what makes games great and Codemasters don't use it enough. I'd love to know how much the Criterion team raked in for DLC for Burnout Paradise, I know I spent at least £20 on extra stuff on top of buying the game, but I still play it two years on.

I remember an old F1 game I had (possibly 1998) for PC that once you'd completed a full season, you unlocked the Jerez circuit to use for one-off races. Imagine the same, it'd be great for extending the game. And that's not even to mention the possibility of retro car sets, downloadable 1994 line up and stuff like that. They could do so much with it!