Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G Data Sim for home broadband

Totalbrill
3: Seeker

I live deep in the country and have found that , following an upgrade from Vodafone to their masts, I can now get fast speeds at home. I have tried landline broadband and satellite and 4G is way superior.

I use about 100 - 120 Gb of data a month at home, but cannot get a data sim for that sort of usage. Vodafone give the best speeds for me, and I have several sims from different companies that I have to exchange during the month.

Assuming that I am not too concerned regarding cost - (I am continuously going just over the capacity I have bought and therefore paying a lot for data) is there any way of purchasing a data sim for that sort of usage.

16 REPLIES 16

Totalbrill
Thanks. Yes it is a lot.
I'm not that concerned re. the cost to be honest. Satellite was costing me about £120 per month and I was only getting 4-5mb on average. With 4g I average about 20mb speed - which will of course open me up to using more data !
For convenience I suppose I am trying to find out if there is a more practical way than buying 10gB or20 gb sims and changing them just in time before I use all of the data and get excess charges. (Accidentally managed to run up a £350 bill last month for example )

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Ouch. I must admit I live near a city centre (concrete jungle !) and would love the scenic views but also want the Bt Infinity I get now and 4G speeds. 

Are you going to want to use this in a phone or something like a http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mShop/mobile-broadband-and-internet/devices/vodafone-r207-payg

£5 - 250MB of 4G UK data (lasts up to 30 days)
£10 - 1GB of 4G UK data (lasts up to 30 days)
£15 - 2GB of 4G UK data (lasts up to 30 days)
£20 - 3GB of 4G UK data (lasts up to 30 days)
£25 - 6GB of 4G UK data (lasts up to

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Totalbrill
Hi. Yes I use in a dlink 4G router. DWR-921. Together with a 4g aerial. I feed this into my patch panel and the house is floodwired. I use 4 airport expresses to create local wifi access points. ( walls can be over a mtr thick in places.) I got a 20gB data sim from Vodafone at just over £20 a month although that offer doesn't exist currently. The maximum sims available currently are 10gB at £15.

BandOfBrothers

WoW quite a set up you have there. 

Makes my Home Hub 5 look impotent :smileyembarrassed:

I would suggest looking through the various Pay Monthly and Payg options and out of allowances charges and or Data on the go via the device I mentioned earlier  and do some calculus on costs to add data - and or look to curb your usage pattern :smileywink:

Current Phone  >

Totalbrill
Thanks Lee for showing some interest. Much appreciated. I will do exactly as you say. And if Vodafone enhance their offer I will post on this thread so people can see the outcome. Best regards.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Take care. 

Good Hunting. 

Current Phone  >

After my ADSL connection failed for a couple of days I was also looking for a solution based on 4G as my router has the ability to fail over to a 3/4G USB key, and I went the 10Gb route although unfortunately this isn't really enough.

I live in Central London - very Central - and can't get Infinity - so if I am downloading large files - e.g. CentOS, then it'd be great to be able to use 4G.

Alas I have got it all working only to find you can't even visit the CentOS website via Vodafone ! I can't believe Vodafone offer such a restricted ISP offering - I have content control switched off although this should make absolutely no difference as CentOS is a Linux Operating System and is no way related to anything which might be considered naughty - however wide your definition is.

Poor show Vodafone