Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G with TP-LINK TL-MR3420

rich_bb
2: Seeker

I am setting up a broadband connection in a rural area that has good 4G coverage only, no 3G and bad ADSL speeds. Attempting to use a TL-MR3420, the current Vodafone 4G (K5150) usb dongle is not compatible with this device. Has anyone used any other usb dongles sucessfully with this device on Vodafone 4G?

I have also tested a ZTE MF823 which works with the router but refuses to connect to the Vodafone 4G.

8 REPLIES 8

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The dongles that Vodafone supply all need to connect to a Windows or Mac OS laptop or computer.  They aren't designed to work with any other operating system. Perhaps a MiFi device would work better for your needs?

PWIAC

Mifi is possible but the units are not designed to be plugged in all the time in one place or Wifi over a whole house so a router seems the better option?

ewanrw
11: Established
11: Established

Huawei E5172As works well.

ewan

rich_bb

I decided to get the K5150 and load custom firmware (http://ofmodemsandmen.com/ FunnelWeb version of the ROOter - OpenWrt firmware) on the TL-MR3420 which lists the K5150 as a supported modem. Works well.

Doric
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Bit late to the party but, yes, I am happily using a Vodafone 4G K5150 dongle with the TP-Link, TL-MR3420.  I did have to replace my older model of this same router with the current one (white, spaceship design, ver 2.4) and there was a bit of fiddling around to get it going. But I've now had 8 months of satisfactory operation. We use the combination for the exactly the reason you say - rural location, no landline alternative.

My only gripe is the limiting data cap (8Gb for the deal I'm on). I soon realised that I have to have two dongles with 8Gb each to get through the month. It is a pain in the neck having to monitor data usage via myVodafone, virtually every day, to know when to swap them over. But otherwise, reliablity is good.

There is now a 10GB/30day contract for £20/pm introduced a couple of weeks ago that seems to have replaced the more expensive 8GB option. 

Hi,

I am using K5150 with TL-MR3420 v2.

I get a Vodafone K5150 GUI on 192.168.9.1, and I have to manually connect to Vodafone network.
When I reset the TL-MR3420, I have to manually connect to the Vodafone network using Vodafone K5150 GUI on 192.168.9.1.

Any fix for this, so that K5150 automatically connects to Vodafone network after TL-MR3420 resets?

I have the same problem. It's a pain, but should happen relatively infrequently?

By the way, I have now switched to a Sim-only contract which gives me 20Gb per month for ~£30 - better value than previous 2 x 8Gb dongle contracts at £26 each.  Since I paid for the dongle in full, I can switch the Sim and cancel previous dongle 30-day contracts.