Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Openzone WiFi

mscott1970
1: Seeker

I'm having mixed results at different ‘hotspots’.

At a local Starbucks for instance, I was presented with a Starbucks branded login page. From this I was able to select to login with my Vodafone credentials and successfully obtained the internet connection.

Around the corner however, I was presented with a login page that appeared to a direct BT landing page (i.e. no other retailer branding).  I was able to select Vodafone UK as the access mechanism but my credentials (100% sure entered correctly) were being denied. (screenshot attached).

Any ideas as to why there would be some hotspots that wouldn't accept my credentials ?

1 REPLY 1

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Wow haven't seen a BTOpenzone-B in a while, that must be an old hub that's broadcasting it!

Got a little sidetracked there.

BT, rather confusingly, have 2 different versions of with BT Wifi (formerly Openzone) hotspot service. They have the basic level one which is broadcast from every BT Hub (Home and Business) in the country and they have Premium ones which the like of Starbucks, Hilton, Flybe etc. use. Vodafone customers (and any other networks for that matter) only have access to these premium ones. 

The basic level ones are only available to BT Broadband and Fon customers.

BT have a page on their WiFi site detailing the differences http://www.btwifi.co.uk/find/uk/#premium-hotspots

If you would be happy to have a public hotspot at your home address you can actually join Fon for a one of purchase of around £35. This would give you access to all the BT Wifi hotspots as well has thousands more around the globe! Search Google for "Fonera" (sorry can't post a link)