Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

CUSD balance command

electronicsuk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello all. I'm a Vodafone pay monthly customer but also have a PayG SIM that I'm using in a GPRS data modem as part of my college project. Part of the project involves requesting the current balance from the network. Previously I would be able to issue the following AT command:

AT+CUSD=1,"*#1345#"

The network would then provide a +CUSD response with the balance in plain text. However, the project has been on hold for a couple of months, and on dusting it off today and powering up, it seems that this command no longer works. Instead, I get a response more like this:

AT+CUSD=1,"A874578D38283898724789"

The quoted text isn't exactly what I receive, unfortunately I haven't got the modem with me at the moment so can't copy and paste the exact response. In any case, it looks as if the response is PDU encoded, but running it through any of the PDU decoders I can find doesn't yield any readable response.

As nothing has changed at my end since this was last working, I have to assume something has changed with the network. I have double checked and my CMGF=1 (text mode) and CSCS=GSM, so there's no reason why the response should be anything other than plain text.

I realise this is probably a bit of an unusual question, but perhaps one or two of the network engineers frequent this forum and might know the answer. Perhaps there's a change I can make to my CUSD command to solicit a plain text response?

2 REPLIES 2

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@electronicsuk

I'll be honest this went straight over my head :smileyindifferent:

I contacted our first line Tech team who said that they we're unable to assist with commands at network level, as it's not something that they support.

Thanks Sukhi, I appreciate you looking into it all the same. Although something with the network has clearly changed, I think the modem is also partly to blame. It's manufactured by Huawei, and I've read that some of their products don't follow the standard to the letter when it comes to the GSM alphabet. I'll try a different modem and see if that helps.