Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't get data settings

rowan_bradley
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've been having an enormously frustrating time trying to get my data connection working. The instructions say "text WEB to 40127". I have tried this several times. I receive in reply a text saying "It looks like you've swapped your SIM ... We'll send you these by text shortly." but the promised text never arrives. I have had several long chat sessions which have been unable to resolve the problem. I have found it completely impossible to speak to a real person, to get help.

How do I get the instructions on how to set up data on my phone?

What is supposed to be in the missing text message?

What can I do to actually receive the promised text?

How can I speak to a real person? I feel a serious need to have someone I can SHOUT at right now...

Thanks - Rowan

11 REPLIES 11

63johnw
17: Community Champion

BandOfBrothers

Hi @rowan_bradley

Those settings I posted in tje thread kindly supplied by @63johnw are from....

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/vodafone-apn-settings

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have carefully gone thrugh the procedure described on these links, and my phone still has no data connection. The signal bars show an exclamation mark, which presumably means there is something wrong with the setup, but what?

Rowan

AnnS

Hi @rowan_bradley

If you purchased the phone from Vodafone, the data settings will already be reinstalled.  

When you have Wifi and mobile data turned on, the exclamation mark is perfectly normal.  Your phone will automatically disconnect from the mobile internet and use the WiFi Signal where it is available and the exclamation mark should disappear. This is to ensure you have a constant connection to the internet.

If you put your postcode into the Coverage Checker at the top of the page, this will give you an indication of the signal strength in your area, you may find you are able to connect to the mobile internet in an alternative location.

You don't mention if you are on PAYG or pay monthly, you need to make sure you have the correct APN selected for your tariff.

It might be an idea to take your phone into a Vodafone Store and let them take a look at the APN settings and make sure everything is working for you.

I'm on PAYG.

I have selected the right APN for PAYG.

I really don't want to have to go to a store in order to sort out my problem. This is very inconvenient for me. I am not stupid, and if  can just get the necessary information I'm sure  can set it up myself.

Yes, you are right, the exclamation mark disappears if I have a WiFi connection, but if I turn off WiFi, or go somewhere where there is no WiFi, then I have no data connection. Surely that is the poiint of mobile data - to give me a connection when there is no WiFi?

Any otehr ideas why I am getting no connection?

Thanks - Rowan

I bought the phone from Vodafone, but I unlocked it and have been using it for the last year on Giffgaff, so I suppose the original setings were overwritten.

Rowan

AnnS

Hi @rowan_bradley

I suspect what is happening here is the APN settings are defaulting to GiffGaff but with the phone being Vodafone branded, the original Vodafone settings should still be preinstalled on the phone.

If you have not already done, try deleting all traces of the GiffGaff APN settings, and selecting Vodafone pp, this should sort out the connection problem.

If there are still issues, although annoying and time consuming and not a good time of year to go into a store with a technical question, it may still be an option for help and support.  It may be that you need a replacement SIM for your number and a new SIM is provided by a store.

As mentioned by @63johnw, a factory reset would be an idea to delete any giffgaff settings.

Rowan 

Which make and model of phone are you using ?

Can you try your SIM card in another phone to see if data works. 

How did you originally get it unlocked ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

Try this link and select your device type and it will give screenshotted guide for setting up your APN manually