Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Change Dongle to use Windows 8RT app

satnav1
1: Seeker

Hi

I have recently purchaced the Microsoft Surface Tablet running windows 8RT. in order to use it when mobile i tried to install my PAYG Vodafone dongle K3565. When i tried this i get the message that this dongle is not compatable.

So i downloaded the vodafone app from the windows store and this app gave me a list of those dongles that are compatable both with windows 8RT and the vodafone app.

One of the dongles listed is the K3772-Z which i can purchase from my local phones 4 u store.

So i have two questions:-

1. If i purchased the K3772-Z can i swap the sim straight over from my old K3565 which is the PAYG use in 180 days or lose credit, into the K3772-Z with no problem

2. Once the sim is installed will this then work with the vodafone app on windows 8RT with no additional installs??

thanks

Satnav1

1 REPLY 1

headcheese
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hello

The information in the Microsoft Store Vodafone app isn't windows 8 version specific.

The K3772-Z will work with Windows 8 PRO (as you CAN sideways install Vodafone Mobile Broadband to get the K3772-Z drivers on to the Windows PRO system) but the K3772-Z will NOT work with Windows RT (as you CANNOT sideways install any sfotware, it all has to come fromt he Microsoft store, so have no way of getting the K3772-Z drivers on the the Windows 8 RT system). The lack of sideways installation of software on Windows 8 RT systems is Microsoft's call.

The Vodafone App in the store doesn't contain any drivers, beacause all the connection management is done through Windows and the app is an account orientated applciation (top up, balance, and so on).

The only USB modem that will work with a Windows RT system is the K4305/K4305-Z. These aren't sold in the UK yet.

The only option you really have at the moment is to use either a Mobile WiFI devices such as the R205 or R201, or to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your Windows 8 RT system to it over WiFi.

I know this isn't the best of news, but I'd rather be up front as opposed to you buying a K3772-Z and it not work with the RT system you have.