Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data SIM for GSM modem

D-A-Peg
2: Seeker

I need to purchase a data enabled SIM for use in a GSM modem. I have tried calling vodafone several times, searched the internet and there is very limited info as to where I can get one. Please direct me to the correct department to speak to someone who understands what I am talking about.

11 REPLIES 11

D-A-Peg

Can you advise where I can get a data enabled SIM card for use in a GSM modem? I went to my local vodafone store and they sold me a data sim which they told me would work. I sort of new it wouldn't as they really didn't have a clue what I was talking about although they tried to make out they did. I have called vodafone several times and had the same response and been passed from call centre to call centre. Can you help direct me to the correct place???

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @D-A-Peg

Has the SIM card been activated ?

Call 17298 to activate your Payg SIM card if it's Payg. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @D-A-Peg

All SIM's are data enabled, there would be nothing stopping you from using an ordinary PAYG SIM in the modem, topping up and adding a Big Value Bundle on the number with plenty of data.

It is unclear the type of SIM you have been sold to go into your GSM modem.  Where a PAYG data SIM is concerned, these usually come as part and package when sold with a Vodafone dongle or mobile WiFi device. If you have a pay monthly data SIM, the following link may apply.

Data only SIM

If the SIM is the pay monthly option, you will need to contact Vodafone to make sure the SIM is activated.

If you have a PAYG SIM, this will already be activated and you will only need to add the credit and start using the device after adding the bundle.

The SIM is a 1GB 4G £10.00 pay as you go for use in a dongle or WiFi enabled device which although comes with a number is not recognised as it is only for 4G connection. They have sold me an incorrect SIM I believe. I remember using my own mobile contract SIM many years ago and when I contacted vodafone they gave me another number to use with my SIM for using in a modem. If I purchase an ordinary PAY G SIM would they also issue me with the second number or does this work using a MODEM?

Hello @D-A-Peg

What is the name of the modem you are using? 

Louise

It is a Fargo Maestro 20 dualband GSM Modem

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@D-A-Peg The SIM you've purchased from our Vodafone store should be compatible with your Fargo Maestro 20 dualband GSM Modem, therefore this shouldn't cause the device not to work. 

You'll need to ensure that your APN settings are entered correctly within the device settings. 

The APN name needs to be set as follows: 

• APN name - internet 
  • Username - web 
  • Password - web

Please note, as we don't support the modem that you've purchased, we're not able to give you specific information on where the APN settings need to be adjusted. 

If you're having any trouble updating the settings, you'll need to contact Fargo directly. 

Hi Rahim

Thanks for the info. One problem is the number is not recognised when I dial it. what can be the problem there?? Even if I put it in a phone its not seen?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Does the number show when you pop the SIM into a phone and enter *#100# into the dialer and press the call button?

Has the SIM definitely been activated because, from that you describe, it doesn't sound like it has.

PWIAC