Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data dongle or upgrade phone package and Hot Spot

jaslang1969
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding internet access, skyping etc.

We have a caravan on the East coast and obviously there is no Wi-Fi so we and so I bought a 3 Dongle which is absolutely useless and picks up no signal at all.

So whilst there I used my Vodafone mobile as a Hot Spot and it worked great, but not sure whether the best long term solution is:

1) Upgrade my phone package to include extra data allowance (currently only on 500MB) and then continue with the Hot Spot method

2) Get a Vodafone 4G dongle on a monthly contract

We do have young children so there will be quite a bit of use including Skype, Youtube etc.

Any pro's, cons, suggestions greatly appreciated. :Smiling:

7 REPLIES 7

john32
13: Advanced Member

I find the biggest downside with using a phone as a hotspot is the service is suspended when making a call.

Good luck

John

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jaslang1969 - Either way would be fine however, have a look at Data costs to get an idea of how much data you'd need.

Thanks for the replies.

The far cheaper option seems to be to upgrade my sim bundle, which appears to get me 20GB for an extra £5 on what I'm paying now.

But, what I don't understand is the Red Value 20GB Bundle is showing as £20 per month, but the next offer it shows me is the Red Value 10GB Bundle - but at a cost of £32 per month.

Half the data, but £12 per month more?

It's also showing the 4GB Bundle as £22/ month

Something doesn't add up :smileyfrustrated:

Come on Vodafone - long term customer waiting to order a new product here :Smiling:

Just another question as well as the pricing discrepancies above.....

I use a Surface Pro, so a USB dongle is fine - but what if one of the kids is using an iPad at the same time. Can the dongle be used as a Hot Spot? Or is the only alternative a dongle + a data sim for the iPad?

Thanks

@jaslang1969 - For that, have a look at the Mobile Wi-Fi help page. As far as your other question, offers are currently available on SIm only plans.

Thanks Charles

Is there any difference in performance between the dongle, WiFi unit or standard data sim.

I know my iPhone with contract Voda sim in it worked perfectly as a Hot Spot, allowing me to Skype video with no issues whatsoever - so I wouldn't want to buy something and find out it didn't get a signal or perform to the same level.

Thanks agin - you've been very helpful

@jaslang1969 - No worries, there would be no difference in performance. :Smiling: