Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data usage

Eastbrook
1: Seeker

Bought a wifi router so my ipad2 could have wifi at house I am working on. It used 5 gigs of data in 30 days. This is just with downloading mail and web surfing. No downloads. No movies or music. Also app update was off. In the states same device barely cracks 200mb in a month. Went to Apple Store and tethered to their wifi it barely used any data. At home using vodafones app you can watch the data adding up even when you don't even have safari open or on a webpage. It is acting like it is roaming when it 200 yards from store where I bought it. Any similar problems and solutions out there?

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

The ipad will use data in the background for location based apps etc. 

It's good you've restricted some features. 

What does the inbuilt data monitor in the ipad say what's using what ?

A guide I wrote. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Using-more-Mobile-Data-than-usual-My-Guide/m-p/2503056/high...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The built in meter I know of measures cell data use. Cellular is turned off. Location is turned off in privacy. Everything is going thru wifi, and everything is turned off except when I browse web or tell it to get mail. 

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Eastbrook

It may be worth nipping in to your local Vodafone store so they can take a look at the device itself.

I have been back and forth with them so much we are on a first name basis. It is probably something simple but it is eluding the local Vodafone techs, the local Apple techs, and whoever I gave spoken to via the Internet. This device performs normally in any other country, I have been to several in Europe this trip, except England. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Eastbrook I believe that with an iPad 2 you don't have the Wi-Fi Assist option, however please could you confirm whether this is in your mobile data settings?

If so, I'd recommend switching this off as this can activate your data if it struggles to connect with Wi-Fi. 

Natasha,

I see nothing saying wifi assist. I have turned off everything that can be turned off I believe.

BandOfBrothers

Apple help link About Wi-Fi Assist

This setting would be on an iPhone and iPad with both Cellular and Wifi options. Ie It takes a SIM card. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@Eastbrook I'd suggest taking the iPad into store as @Tash mentioned previously. They'll be able to take a look at the device and also send it off for repair if required.