Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dell Laptop with Mobile Connect

mattygm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop which had XP installed and the older Voda Mobile Connect software installed which worked fine but my laptop decided to die one day last week.  I have since had Windows 7 installed on the laptop and all the required drivers for my 3g data sim i have installed etc but could not find the same software i used to have so have downloaded the latest version of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software which has installed fine but cannot see my sim card installed?? i have removed it and reinserted it but still no change and is DEFINATELY in the correct way in the slot as worked prior to dying in the same way so am now lost.  It is connected to my work LAN and Wireless ok but the Mobile Connections says Please insert sim under it and the connect button greyed out.

Anyone have any idea what may have happened here?

Cheers

Matt

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Matt,

Try setting up a connection using a manual dial up.

The instructions below are for 32 bit Windows. Give them a try and let me know how you go on.

1. Go to Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options, select Modems Tab
2. Highlight the VMC device installed and select properties.
3. Click on the Advanced tab and enter AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet” in the Extra Initialisation Command field.
4. Click Apply and OK to save changes

DUN Settings for Windows:

1. Go to Start Menu / Control Panel / Network Connections / Create a new Connection
2. Choose "Connect to the Internet"
3. Select "Set up my Connection Manually"
4. Select "Connect Using Dial-up Modem"
5. Ensure the VMC Device is selected/ticked (and nothing else).
6. ISP Name = "Connection Name", (call it anything you like).
7. Enter the Phone number: *99***1#
8. Username & Password = web & web (these are Pay Monthly settings)
9. Click "Finish" to complete.

Thanks

Andrew

It sounds like you'e using a built in 3G modem (one that's actually part of the laptop), if this isn't the case let us know as what I've written below probably isn't relevant.

The Vodafone Mobile Connect and the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software doesn't include any drivers for built in 3G modems (only USB dongles and modems).

If your 3G modem is installed properly then you could try giving VMB 10 a go (download here) as it will detect the built in 3G modem and use it provided it is on the supported device list (included in the readme file linked to on the page above). Althought VMC is no longer avilable VMB 10 does an equivalent job.

That said it sounds like your 3G modem isn't reading your sim, whih is causing the problem you currently face.

I think if I was in your position the first thing I'd check is thatbthe sim is still OK. You could do this by putting it in a handset. If the handset gets signal then your sim is looking OK (bear in mind you probably won't be able to make/receive calls if it's a mobile broadband specific sim). If the handset doen't pick up a signal, then the sim itself could well be the issue.

It might also be worth trying putting a known working sim in the built in 3G modem. If it still says "insert sim" then it's going to be soemthing related to the built in 3G modem itself. The first thing I'd suggest trying in this case is updated drivers (soudns like you might have done this). Then the next thing I'd check is the device manager components. Although I'm using a Lenovo machine 3G devices tend to have a couple of com ports, a network adapter and a modem driver in the device manager. If only some of these are present then you could try disabling the modem, clicking on view > devices by connection, the disabled modem and it's parent components will be expanded. Right clik and uninstall the USB root hub that's the parent of the disabled modem, then click actions > scan for hardware changes and it shoudl reinstall all the drivers.

Also, if you've got any aplciaitons installed on the PC that are either trying to read com ports or use other components associated with the 3G modem then it won't help. Clean boot instructions can be found here, which will stop other applications running in the background.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

HC

I have a similar problem with my new Dell Inspiron E5440 which has a built in Dell 5570 mobile internet broadband modem.  I got a replacement mini SIM for it from Vodafone but the VMB software can't detect the modem.  I can't test the SIM as I don't have a mobile that uses a mini SIM.

My SIM is a pay as you go data SIM.

I have installed the latest driver from Dell and Device Manager says it is working properly.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi @martinrpalmer 

For us to take a look at your account further, please get in touch via Live help.

Thanks,

Rodney

Hi

Having further problems with the Mobile Broadband on my Dell Latitude E5440.  I got a new Vodafone PAYG SIM from the Livingston Store and that worked until the credit ran out.  I then set up a Vodafone account with a Direct Debit to keep it topped up but it would only do it for my old SIM number.  I contacted Vodafone and they sent me a replacement Micro SIM with my old SIM number and said I would have to contact them to activate it.  I did so and twice different advisors said it was activated.  However It doesn't show its number in the Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software, where as the old Data SIM from Livingston does.  However if I put the new SIM in my phone I can dial *#100# and retrieve the correct number. 

When I try to connect I get an error of 'No Network' and 'Mobile Connection Not Possible' - the green 'aerial' doesn't light up.  I went through the 'clean start' procedure and if I disable the driver for the mobile broadband card (Sierra MC8805) then the Vodafone Mobile Broaddband can see the network and the green 'aerial' lights up.  However I still get 'Mobile Connection Not Possible'. 

The advice from Vodafone's advisors was to take the Dell Laptop to a Vodafone Store.  However as the nearest one is 100 miles away and requires a ferry trip to get there I don't want to do that if there is any other way of sorting this out.

Thanks,

Martin

Just a thought for a PAYG mobile data what APN, Username and Password should I be using?

It seems to be APN: - SMART

Username: - web and password the same.

Is this correct?

Martin