Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GPS and wifi abroad?

JeePeeEss
1: Seeker

Hi!

I am going to Japan in August.  I know that using mobile data will rack up huge costs abroad and I will have mobile data disabled.  However, I will be able to access Wifi from my hotel.

My question is a tricky one regarding location settings:

If I have mobile data disabled, and I am connected to Wifi and load up a map on Google Maps using the Wifi connection, will I be able to view my exact location if I enable location settings and set location settings to 'Power Saving Mode' (the mode that uses Wifi and mobile networks to determine location)?

In other words: Can my phone show its location by using the 'data' from the Wifi alone, or does 'location' require connection to the mobile network?

Many Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @JeePeeEss

Using wifi will let your phone know where you are and will also let you download maps etc and use them offline. 

Ie 

Google > Download areas and navigate offline.

google-maps-use-offline-how. A good tutorial by Motto. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

You don't need mobile data to use GPS to get your exact location. GPS and wifi will give you am accurate map. Also Japan is in the World Traveller zone and for £5 a day you can use your phone exactly as you would in the UK.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@JeePeeEss wrote:

will I be able to view my exact location if I enable location settings and set location settings to 'Power Saving Mode' (the mode that uses Wifi and mobile networks to determine location)?

Probably not.  Power saving mode is the least accurate way of getting your location - it gives an idea of where you may be.

@JeePeeEss wrote:

Can my phone show its location by using the 'data' from the Wifi alone, or does 'location' require connection to the mobile network?

@Yes it can but it won't be 100% accurate.  The fastest and most accurate way of getting your location is to select the option that uses WiFi, GPS and mobile networks to work out where you are. You do not need to have mobile data switched on to use this nor will it cost you anything extra. Although, as @jeffkinn says, it may be worthwhile considering World Traveller at £5 per day. 

PWIAC

DougieD
4: Newbie

I went to Japan in October last year and hired a Mobile Wifi. They are ridiculously cheap in comparison to using your tarriffed data, even world traveller.

You pick them up at the airport. When you get them you get a return envelope so at the end of the trip you put it in the jiffy bag and hand it to the hotel reception.

They proved invaluable. Not only was I able to translate things on the go with google image translator, but I also planned my tours on google maps and facetimed family from all over the place.

Used this website http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I did have to reset my mifi device quite a few times in Tokyo as I think it was overwhelemed by other wifi spots. Out in the countryside it worked amazingly well.

Enjoy your trip. I had an amazing time!