Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How To Register For Online Account Access Using Payg Mobile Broadband

ianj999
Not applicable
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me please. I've just purchased a Pay As You Go Mobile broadband modem (Huawei E160X). The software that auto-installed from the device is VMC Lite V9.3.5.11690. Hardware and software installation went very smoothly and I can access the Internet fine. However, when I try to register for online account services from the VMC control panel I get logged into the Vodafone website where I am asked to enter my modem phone number in order for it to be sent an SMS message containing a code that I then have to re-enter on the website (if you see what I mean!). The problem is that my testing has indicated that I can neither send nor receive SMS messages on the Modem.

I've looked around the forum and found a posting from Vodafone that states:

"I'm afraid that there is no functionality to send and receive SMS via the PAYT Dongle or the PAYT VMC software."

OK - I can live with the lack of SMS (I didn't buy the device for that), but how can I register my device under my Vodafone account and thus do things like online top-up.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

silicongyro
Not applicable
IanJ999
Hi - I cannot provide a solution - but am posting this to let you know you are not alone, I have the very same problem with my PAYG dongle delivered today. I tried registering for an account via using e-mail address, but still not able to top up since I always need to receive the 6 digit code which is never received. Even tried to use the SIM in an ordinary phone to receive the SMS - no joy either!

mike29
Not applicable
IanJ999
Hi - I cannot provide a solution - but am posting this to let you know you are not alone, I have the very same problem with my PAYG dongle delivered today. I tried registering for an account via using e-mail address, but still not able to top up since I always need to receive the 6 digit code which is never received. Even tried to use the SIM in an ordinary phone to receive the SMS - no joy either!

Exactly the same here, really does need sorting out, wait till you both try to remove content control :wub:

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi All

Indeed I do agree that it is something that needs to be implemented into the modem software (sms functionality), however there is a workaround that requires you to have a mobile phone.

You'd need to access another computer connected to the internet (even in an internet cafe), take the modem sim card and put it in a mobile phone, then got to register online with the other computer. The sms should arrive on the phone and you can use the code within it to confirm your online registration.

You'll only need to do this once, :)

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

mike29
Not applicable
Hi All

Indeed I do agree that it is something that needs to be implemented into the modem software (sms functionality), however there is a workaround that requires you to have a mobile phone.

You'd need to access another computer connected to the internet (even in an internet cafe), take the modem sim card and put it in a mobile phone, then got to register online with the other computer. The sms should arrive on the phone and you can use the code within it to confirm your online registration.

You'll only need to do this once, :)

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Hi Reidar

Already tried that, but the phone reports that sms on the sim is unsupported ?.

Retired-David_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Guys,

We are aware that there is an issue and a fault has already been raised on this. With the PAYG Mobile broadband the SIM does come disabled from the SMS service and we have raised to the online team the difficulties customers have been having with this issue.

As a workaround so you are able to top up using a credit or debit card we will send you all out a email to your registered addresses all you need to do is reply with the requested details and we will be able to arrange registering your accounts.

Thanks for your patience in this matter and we get this issue resolved as soon as possible. B-)

David
eForum Team

ianj999
Not applicable
Thanks to Reidar I am now sorted out. I followed his advice which was to remove the SIM from the modem, put it in a mobile phone and receive the text containing the registration / validation code sent from the Vodafone registration process that I access from another PC.

Thanks for all your help and advice folks.