Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to harness 4G for home use?

stepham10
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I am wondering what would be the best way to use my home desktop computer to access 4G?

I live in rural Aberdeenshire and my 11km long exchange only line is looking like it will never be upgraded to fibre. At the moment 3 of the 4 ISP's only have GPRS coverage which is not good but alas, there is light at the end of the tunnel. a CTIL mast has just been approved on a nearby hilltop, approx 5 miles away (straight line distance probably less than this). Hopefully the mast is going to be tall enough to clear the surrounding trees which would give my house a clear line of sight.

Now I had thought that I could use a dongle & just leave it on a windowsill at the front of the house which would hopefully provide 4G to all my devices inside the house. However I was wondering if there are any external areials that could be used to bring the signal inside, or any other type of setup that I could consider. Or is a simple dongle the best option?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

The possible issue with a dongle is that a computer which uses rich internet pages could soon eat up your data allowance. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes I agree, I think it could be quite expensive. But unfortunately beggars cannot be choosers, it's the one and only option I have for half decent internet access so I guess I will have to pay a higher price. We don't play games or stream movies so hopefully data useage can be kept down to a reasonable figure. 

BandOfBrothers

What speeds do isp providers supply ?

What about Vodafone Connect Broadband as an option. 

Current Phone  >

Probably the best solutions is to have a chat with Vodafone and ask for a special 4G package and a 4G wifi router. I've hard they have some home broadband packages on request which include 50-100gb of 4G data plus speed limitation after you consume the included data.

At very best I get 1.7 down, 0.3 up. But its usually around half of that. 

Have you looked at the National Satellite Broadband Scheme? Its part of BDuk you can read about it on digital Scotland it may hel, given you upload speed. 

BandOfBrothers
Ouch.

Speeds are a little weak.

After all the talk from the government and the likes of Bt improving the service in rural areas it's about time they acted. :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >