Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei K3765 - RAS 365 and RAS 691

tinkers77
Not applicable
Hi,
Hope you can help after a very frustrating evening.

Got a new K3765 modem on monthly contract.

Tried installing on 2 laptops - exactly the same result on both saw me getting RAS365 errors when trying to connect. One laptop is Lenovo running XP and the other sony running Vista.

On the Lenovo I then tried updating the VMC software to the latest version (9.6.4) as mentioned on other posts. This then changed the RAS error to RAS 691. It now seems to attempt to connect but never manages it. It only sees a GPRS network with 2 bars strength.

Any help much appreciated
Paul
18 REPLIES 18

tinkers77
Not applicable
As an update I've now tried from 2 other locations with stronger signals (both 3G and GPRS).

Exactly the same result. It either comes back with a RAS 365 error after a couple of seconds or appears to attempt to connect without success.

tinkers77
Not applicable
I've also now tried taking the SIM out of the modem and into a Vodafone mobile - this works fine so assume that means that the SIM is ok.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Tinkers777,

Please try the following solution for me and let me know how you get on :)

1. First UNPLUG modem from computer

2. Then on Vodafone software (re-open from desktop icon if has shut)
go to MANAGE DEVICES and remove ALL modems

3. Click APPLY, the go to FILE then EXIT

4. Open up CONTROL PANEL
(if on vista click CLASSIC VIEW once open)

5. Open PHONE AND MODEMS

6. Remove ALL GLOBETROTTER entries

7. Click OK

8. Then in CONTROL PANEL go to NETWORK CONNECTIONS
(in vista this is Network and sharing centre, then Manage Network Connections)

9. Delete VODAFONE connections ( i.e. Vodafone mobile connect/VMClite)

10. Back to CONTROL PANEL and open SYSTEM, then select HARDWARE tab, then select DEVICE MANAGER
( on vista can just select DEVICE MANAGER from control panal)

11. Expand MODEMS and DISABLE inbuilt modem.

12. Expand NETWORK ADAPTERS

13. Plug Modem back into computer

14. When driver installed, DISABLE the GLOBETROTTER GI41X NETWORK INTERFACE
(in network adapters)

15. Close all windows and return to DESKTOP and manually open VODAFONE MOBILE CONNECT from icon

16. Cancel any connection attemp and go to MANAGE DEVICES again.

17. Set GLOBETROTTER GI41X MODEM INTERFACE as the default.

18. Click APPLY then Click OK.

19. CONNECT

Jon

eForum Team

tinkers77
Not applicable
Hi,
Thanks for advice.

Followed the advice as closely as possible - now I get RAS 608 errror

There were some problems in following the advice exactly. There was never any mention of Globetrotter but I selected the equivalent for Huawei.

In the last step I couldn't make the modem active as it first came up - for some reason it then changed name to being listed in managed devices as "K3765" and at that point when I tried to connect the RAS 608 error appeared.

I tried the instructions twice with the same result both times

Regards,
Paul

tinkers77
Not applicable
Hi,
Thanks for help - have followed instructions as closely as possible. I now either get another RAS error, I cannot connect to anything or get the RAS 365 error message again.

I don't get any mention of Globetrotter but I selected what looked like the sensible alternative (Huawei)

The major point where it differs from what should happen is at the end. It installs in the VMC software a devlce called 'Vodafone Mobile Broadband Secondary Port Modem (Huawei)' which I can set as default but does not become active. It shows a Vodafone 3G network but when I click on Connect nothing happens. If I unplug and replug the modem a second modem KP3765 is listed which is shown as active. When I try and connect then I get the RAS 365 error. A couple of times through this process I got another RAS error (think it might have been 608)

I've tried the instructions a few times and the same result. Could you clarify once the instructions are completed what should be showing as enable / disabled in device manager? For me the modem appears as enabled and in the network section the Vodafone Mobile Broadband (Huawei) shows as disabled. Is this right?

Thanks for help
Paul

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Paul,

It's not looking good :(

Sorry about the instructions not exactly matching up - they are in fact for the same error on a different modem, but since we've never seen this modem or error combination before, I thought it would be worth a shot.

Can you go into Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Select the Modem, and press Properties.
In the Diagnostics section there should be a "Query Modem" button. Press this, and it should return a bunch of information.
If however this fails, it indicates your modem is faulty, and will need to be sent for repair :(

Jon

eForum Team

tinkers77
Not applicable
Hi,
That seemed to work ok. It came back with the following:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - K3765
AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: (0-1)
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORT
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORT
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORT
ATI1 - Manufacturer: huawei
Model: K3765
Revision: 11.126.03.06.00
IMEI: 353054038413654
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
ATI2 - Manufacturer: huawei
ATI3 - Manufacturer: huawei
ATI4 - Manufacturer: huawei
ATI5 - Manufacturer: huawei
ATI6 - Manufacturer: huawei
ATI7 - Manufacturer: huawei

However a few strange things. It lists the modem 3 times in Control Panel - twice as not connected and once on Com14. When I followed the previous instructions I deleted them all but they all seem to come back.

This seems to tie in with the modem appearing more than once in the VMC software.

Regards,
Paul

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Paul

Thanks for coming back to us here. Thats very strange that its populated the three instances of the modem again.

Could we try one more time? Delete all the dial up connections, then go into Device Manager and delete all modems under the modem drop down box. Unplug your modem, Restart your PC, then plug your modem back in and click connect.

Please give this a go and if you have any further questions just give me a shout

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

tinkers77
Not applicable
Thought I had cracked it. I followed the instructions again. This time, only one modem (vodafone Huawei) appeared in Control Panel - modem and on com4. When I opened up the VMC software there was no device shown, however, it did show a connection to a Vodafone 3G network. It I clicked on that connection to connect but nothing happened. Then I tried to manually add a device - and it allowed me to add a modem. It appeared in the VMC software correctly and I think for the first time ever then showed as active. However ..... when I then tried to connect to the network my old friend the RAS 635 message came up again.

I now also know its not the machine. I had to borrow a friends 3 modem to allow me to travel and that worked first time without any problems. If someone can't get this working soon then I'll be cancelling this contract and going with them.