Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Im And Mobile Broadband

CS_moneybags
Not applicable
Ok, so i didnt see anything about this in the main sections, but IM is a very very common use of the internet, so i thought id post some info i have on it when used with Mobile Broadband as well as give others the chance to post their experiences.

Before starting, id like to say Content Control seems to block almost all forms of IM, so you may need to remove it (i think theres 2 levels of CC? The first one blocks IM)

First of all, the types of IM i use are MSN and IRC. The most common client for MSN is Windows Live Messenger, and the most common clients for IRC are mIRC, Mibbit.com or freejavachat.com

Now, when using MSN, using Windows Live Messenger is a no-go, it uses up large amounts of memory at a very fast rate and can be very data-heavy. To combat this, i use "Miranda IM" when on Mobile Broadband. This is a small, low memory client which allows you to access all common IM networks and IRC, all from the same program.

Keep in mind all my results are only from MSN and IRC being connected.

When leaving Miranda idle, you can expect to use less than 1 MB an hour, if you only have MSN connected. Even an active conversation will not use too much data. With IRC connected, and connected to an active Channel, your probably going to go up to 4MB an hour although it completely depends on the channel(s) you are connected too.

Since i dont use any other networks, it would be nice to see what other people find with their chosen messengers or how they find IM on Mobile Broadband. I'v found you can keep the data usage at a minimum when using the right programs rather than the very heavy usage common clients

I use Miranda IM but there are others out there with similar qualities - i have used Trillian in the past as well. If anyone else uses a different program, or has something to add, please do - im sure most of us would like to know more about IM while on Mobile Broadband ;)

Hope this helps anyone using IM
4 REPLIES 4

JD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi CS_Moneybags

Just wanted to pop on say thanks for the great post.

This should be really helpful for anyone using IM clients. As you say, if anyone else has anything to add, let us know :)

Also, for anyone wanting to IM chat with people on line - via their mobile, check out the Vodafone Messenger.

Cheers

J
eForum Team

neo680
4: Newbie
Interesting!

Before going away for a month, I set up a VF PAYG dongle for my Sony Vaio to access MSN Windows Live Messenger.
Wanting to keep in touch with kids etc I thought this would be cheaper than multiple texts.

In actual fact, my kids were usually out, so usage was limited! But my expereience is this:

• Content control was never an issue, didn't appear at all with MSN.
  • I held 2 simultaneous MSN conversations with the sprogs (each didn't want the other seeing what we were talking about! Kids, eh? :wacko: .) It was in excess of an hours duration, throughout which I 'chatted' with them both constantly. I checked my balance pre & post this usage: I had spent 7 pence! Certainly drastically cheaper than what would have been dozens of texts!
    Using the VF site to download the relevant software was a piece of the proverbial - my dongle was up & running in no time; as said, I saw no content control re MSN & 2 simultaneous constant conversations for 7 of the Queens pennies? Can't be bad!
    (I did, before use, ensure all updates, e.g. Windoze & anti-virus were switched off.)

Just my seven pennies worth! (Sorry, couldn't resist that! :blush: )

Neo.
  • Weathered the Storm for 18 months; peace & tranquility finally restored! Thanks Apple!

Neil_Brown
    14: Advanced member
    14: Advanced member
    I use Pidgin, and have had no problems with MSN or Facebook chat.
    Neil

richie1913
    4: Newbie
    Just to add that my kids use windows live (I have 4 girls so you can Imagine how much chatting they do),and find It to be extremely cheap to use,I agree with neo680 a great deal cheaper then If they were sending texts all the time.The only time It gets a little expensive Is If they use the webcam.