Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3570-Z - RAS Error 635

jhrawnsley
Not applicable
My wife recently bought two PAYG K3570-Z dongles from Vodafone as we both travel with laptops/netbooks. I have been trying to get one of them to work with either of two machines, one a MacBook Pro running a fully patched 10.6.4 and the other a Toshiba NB200 netbook running Windows 7 Pro.

On the MacBook, the dongle did not mount as a file system so I found and downloaded the latest VMB 4.01.08.00 and installed it. The software recognises the dongle correctly and the dongle finds the network (Vodafone UK 3G) and displays its phone number. When I click Connect, a progress dialog indicates it is trying to connect but after the progress bar is just over half-way, it terminates with a message
"Mobile Connection Error
Cannot create network settings"
and suggests checking the APN etc which I have set to pp.vodafone.co.uk and the user/password to web/web.

On the Toshiba netbook, the dongle mounted and ran an installer which put SMS and VMB Lite 10.0.201.23143 on my netbook. Again the software sees the dongle which in turn can see the 3G network and displays its phone number. Attempting to connect fails with RAS error code 635.

What next?

John
4 REPLIES 4

jhrawnsley
Not applicable
I'll reply to myself as I made some progress by reading more of the messages in this forum.

I see there are several different suggested APNs for PAYG. I tried each in turn and ppbundle.internet solves the problem for me. I thought the SIM had come with 1GB preinstalled but it shows up as 3GB on the website after I received the security SMS to complete the registration. That gets the netbook working.

BTW I had the repeated remounting of the dongle flash storage problem until I did a complete uninstall and then reinstall of the software with a live wifi connection. That caused a download of driver updates which cured the problem.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi iohn,

Thanks for letting us know! :) I'm glad our forum was able to help.

Jon

eForum Team

Caboose
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hello

I have a similar problem to you but am a n00b and don't know how to go about changing the apn settings on a mac. can you help?

Thanks

jhrawnsley
Not applicable

Hello

I have a similar problem to you but am a n00b and don't know how to go about changing the apn settings on a mac. can you help?

Thanks

Hi,

I've been in Africa without any internet for a couple of weeks, so I've only just seen your message.

On the Mac, you can find the APN entry in the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app as follows: Click on Connections then click on Mobile Connections, this produces a list (of 1 or more entries) double-clicking an entry eventually brings up a dialog with an APN tab. Edit the APN to be ppbundle.internet if you have the 3GB dongle. If you have several entries and are not sure which is being used, do as I did and edit all of them to be ppbundle.internet.