Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K5150 dongle - is DVD/CD-ROM Device - SOLVED

prom22
4: Newbie

I upgraded to 4G a couple of weeks ago and it was great.... then sometimes I would switch on in the morning and VMB would say "No Device", so I would unplug/plug in the dongle and it would be found - eventually it wasn't found so I went to a Voda shop and they gave me a replacement SIM card.

They said wait 24hrs for activation - still had "No Device" message.

Tried my friend's K5150 with my SIM card - "No Device" message.

I uninstall / reinstall VMB software  - "No Device" message.

Back to Voda shop... who then say they can't access my account (although they can see the details) to give me another replacement SIM as I am being migrated to a new system by Vodafone!!!!

So, I decide to go to a different Voda shop - and they give me a replacement SIM card without any trouble!

That was at 4pm yesterday, today at 7.30am I still have "No Device" message.

In the meantime I have spent £6.95 a day for access to the internet via BT-Fon.

After years with a 3G dongle without trouble - this is a disaster!!!!!!

9 REPLIES 9

prom22
4: Newbie

Following on, I am on Windows 7.

When I look at the Diagnostics window in VMB no info is picked up at all.

I have just put my SIM card into my unlocked mobile phone....

It switches on and displays "vodafone UK" in the corner of the screen,

so does this mean the SIM card is fully active?

Does anyone know what a PURPLE flashing light indicates on a K5150? I can only find references to a purple solid light when I Google it.

A step forward..... having had a 2nd Line Tech Support person take over my laptop for a while - I think the problem has been found:

The dongle appears under DVD/CD-ROM drives in Device Manager:

Vodafone Storage (Huawei) USB Device

and I assume this is why the VMB software says "No Device".

At this point, the Tech Support signed off, and I do not know what the solution is - anyone any ideas???

Well, I am finally up and running on an older 3G dongle with my SIM card.

I did the following to disable Plug and Play in Windows 7, it didn't seem to work with the K5150, but I am connected with the old dongle (which shows up as a Modem - see another post of mine).

• Click 'Start', right-click 'Computer', select 'Properties'.
  • Click 'Advanced System Settings' on Left column.
  • Choose 'Hardware' tab, click 'Device Installation Settings.' button.
  • Change Windows Driver Download option from 'Yes' to 'No'.
  • Then choose your preferred option:
    (Always Install, Only Install if driver is not found, or Never Install drivers)
  • Click Save and then OK, and close out of Control Panel.

It seems a lot of people out there are complaining of Window P&P re various devices.

Would like to know if anyone has had this problem with a K5150 - looks like I won't be on 4G for the foreseeable.

I also tried connecting via Mobile Partner but that got "No Device" as well.

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@prom22

I’m not sure why you were having issues with this.

Plug and play in general terms works in most instances.

I’m glad you’re up and running now though. If you get chance to get in touch with our Technical team again, they should be able to help you get your 4G device up and running.

Well, well, well, I have finally found out what has happened.

There is a small yellow thingy beside my DVD/CD drive in Device Manager.

This is the dreaded "Code 19" that people are reporting - my model being:

TSSTcorp SN-208BB.

There are various solutions offered on the internet - I have tried registry changes initially. Firmware and driver updates do not work as the device cannot be found because it is not installed properly!

I have finally done a system restore back a week or so with the result:

that the DVD/CD unit is now installed correctly and so I am typing this on a 4G connection.

I still do not yet know why my DVD/CD unit got corrupted - I shall continue looking for an update driver (although Dell website does not offer me one for my laptop when asked), not sure about the firmware.

If anyone out there has got this far (I feel like Citizen Zee) on this subject please let me know - the search for knowledge goes on!

It would seem that the installation of iTunes is the culprit as regards the DVD player recognition problem - to do with Upper & Lower Filters (Google for more detailed explanation if you so wish).

What I have also observed over the intervening weeks since I last posted is that if you Disconnect AND Exit (right-click on the task bar icon) from VMB before closing down your computer then it seems that your dongle is always found when you start up the next day!

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@prom22 Thanks for keeping us updated on this :smileyvery-happy: