Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K5160 Windows 10 doesn't work

RType23
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

First the issue:

My place of work has issued us K5160 usb modems.

The units install fine in wondows 10, no errors and show as a networek device.

I had to go to vodafone website to get the software as the modem install did not trigger a software load. I've instaled the 10.3.415 software, and it see's my wireless connections but does not detect the K5160, thus I cant use mobile broadband.

Please advise.

Secondly, your support links for mobile broadband business or consumer contact us pages are all broken. I've tried five other numbers and been passed around multiple departments. This is unacceptable way of conducting business.

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RType23 - So that we can help further, please check the following:

• Is the K5160 connected via an open USB port?
  • Have you tried it in other USB ports?
  • Is there an active SIM inside the device?
  • When it's plugged in does a light show on the device?

Hi - PSB

• Is the K5160 connected via an open USB port?
  • Have you tried it in other USB ports?

Yes, tried all four of my usb ports. The device would seem to be detected correctly in Device Manager.

Device USB\VID_12D1&PID_1F1E&MI_00\6&18735c5f&2&0000 was configured.

Driver Name: netwmbclass.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 07/16/2015
Driver Version: 10.0.10240.16392
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: wmbclass.ndi
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: USB\Class_02&SubClass_0e&Prot_00
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false

• Is there an active SIM inside the device?

I presume the sims were actived when bought last month by our Vodafone account manager.

• When it's plugged in does a light show on the device?

Double flashes green twice, then single mauve 

@RType23 - Have you attempted to open an internet page with the dongle plugged in?

We're also unable to access the correct user manual - we've fed this back.

Take a look at the manual for the K5150 which should be similar (see pages 10 to 14).

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 my K5160 also stopped working. It gives an error message "SIM not detected" and advises removing and reinserting the SIM card. That doesn't work.

I called Vodafone and eventually got through to technical support. A very savvy lady there has heard his many times and knew all about it. She told me Windows 10 prevents the dongle from working. It's not a Vodafone issue. Apparently Microsoft is working on a solution.

The workaround is to put your SIM into a MiFi device and connect your PC to that using WiFi.

It would have been helpful if someone from Vodafone could have put this info on the web site in an easily accessible place. I just spent an hour on this and there must be hundreds of others doing the same.