Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsoft Outlook Email - Authentication Required Error

jonathanfinlay
Not applicable
When I send email from Microsoft Outlook via vodafone mobile broadband, the emails are rejected. the message says the recipient cannot be reached and gives the following error:530 authentication required
This only happens with mobile broadband, not with my land line. Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

bacupian
4: Newbie

Hi there

I am using windows 7 with a 3g dongle and have tried the following:

I have tried using my original domain with authentication as provided buy my email provider(Logon using Username and password)
I have changed the smtp server settings to "send.vodafone.net" as well as "smtp.vodafone.net"
I have checked the smtp authentication box and put in the authentication details in the more settings dialog. I then tried it without authentication too. Neither worked.

I am battling to send mails through the vodacom smtp server and i am told that i cannot get a vodafone adress in order to set up the authentication. I read above that vodafone servers dont require smtp authentication but why then doesnt it work when i simply tell outlook to find the send.vodafone.net server woithout authentication.

I eventually told it to use the "mail.btinternet.com" server and put in someone elses username and password who agreed to authenticate my email adress through their account.

It doesnt make snese to me because none of the above works. how is it then that i can connect on the Vodafone network, relay outgoing mail through BT to ISDSL in South Africa?

Any help?

Hayden.

You are just lucky if you can use send.vodafone.net as all port 25 traffic goes through their server and even if using
smtpauth has a high chance of disappearing into a blackhole. Last time I tried was about a year ago.

I use two different isps that both offer a smtps service and this uses a different port (465) and exits the vodafone
network from clean IP addresses. Vodafone supply a similar service at http://vodafone.360.com/ and I found I
had no problem using that except it was geared to mobile phone users, so when I setup my account I had to use
made up details as my mobile phone doesn't do internet. My notebooks are setup to send/receive email from
my own mailserver that handles smtps and pop3s. I found mail delivery using any of the smtps servers was
immediate.

When I tried using smtpauth (port 25 + tsl) the ip addresses of the blaclisted vodafone mailserver was picked up
and sent emails didn't turn up, were delivered as spam or turned up ok. So I'd advise against that method.

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://vodafone360.com/

360.com OE6 setup

General/Mail Account/smtp.360.com

Servers/Outgoing mail (SMTP)/smtp.360.com

Servers/My server requires authentication = tick

Servers/My server requires authentication/Settings
Log on using = ticked
Account name = your 360.com username
Password = your 360.com password
Remember password = ticked

Advanced/Outgoing mail (SMTP)/465
Advanced/Outgoing mail/This server requires SSL = ticked

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi HaydenDunstan and welcome to the Vodafone eForum. :)

I can see how annoying this could be, but you are close to the solution, you're just using old, obsolete details.:mellow:

The vodafone.net server has now been disconnected, and is no longer in service. As a replacement, just as posted in great detail by bacupian, we now use the 360 service as a replacement.

The details in the above post are correct to set this up, but unlike with vodafone.net, you do have to create a 360 account firstly, as it requires your unique username and password to work. When you sign up, don;t worry about your handsets compatibility with the 360 service, this is merely to add an app to a compatible device, and is not needed to complete registration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team