Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsoft Outlook Email - Authentication Required Error

jonathanfinlay
Not applicable
When I send email from Microsoft Outlook via vodafone mobile broadband, the emails are rejected. the message says the recipient cannot be reached and gives the following error:530 authentication required
This only happens with mobile broadband, not with my land line. Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

SurfSilver
4: Newbie
When I send email from Microsoft Outlook via vodafone mobile broadband, the emails are rejected. the message says the recipient cannot be reached and gives the following error:530 authentication required
This only happens with mobile broadband, not with my land line. Any ideas?

I had a problem a while back involving the interaction between Outlook 2003 Pro and my Yahoo Mail Plus account, It only occurred via mobile broadband, never via landline. My Mail Plus account uses some secure settings: port 995 for POP3, port 465 for SMTP.

In co-op with the Vodafone Support, I traced the problem to the so-called "optimisation" component of the VMC software. After a deinstall and custom reinstall of the VMC software with the optimisation component excluded, the problem never recurred.

I can'r remember exactly what my problem symptoms were and don't specifically recall any 530 authentication errors, but if you run out of other options you could try the deinstall and custom re-install of the software.

If you already don't have the optimisation component running, then I'm out of ideas, but when I had my problem I did find Vodafone Support very helpful once the Helpdesk (quickly, I must say) handed me off to the right people.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey Guys

the problem should get solved by going to your email account settings (Tools > Account Settings > More Settings), and checking the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" option.

let me know if you still have the issue

James

eForum Team

SurfSilver
Hey Guys

the problem should get solved by going to your email account settings (Tools > Account Settings > More Settings), and checking the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" option.

James

eForum Team

Possibly, but I think that an incorrect email setting to do with authentication would be likely to cause a problem regardless of whether connecting by landline or by mobile broadband? As jonathanfinlay points out, the problem doesn't arise when he connects via landline.

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Possibly, but I think that an incorrect email setting to do with authentication would be likely to cause a problem regardless of whether connecting by landline or by mobile broadband? As jonathanfinlay points out, the problem doesn't arise when he connects via landline.

Hi SurfSilver

Thanks for the reply

Can I just check with you, have you tried the suggestion from James and if you have, did it work?

Please let me know

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

SurfSilver
Hi SurfSilver

Thanks for the reply

Can I just check with you, have you tried the suggestion from James and if you have, did it work?

Please let me know

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

Not applicable! It wasn't me that had the problem, it was jonathanfinlay. See first post in thread. Thanks for asking, though.

Robert_Isaac
6: Helper
6: Helper
Hey Guys

James

eForum Team

Your suggestion does not fix my problem. I can send email using my normal landline Outlook 2003 settings to everyone within our own domain, we have a leased server. But I cannot send to anyone outside our domain.

I changed the SMTP setting to send.vodafone.net and it works OK...at the moment.

Did I read somewhere here that there should be no need to change the SMTP setting?

Bob

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Bob

Yeh your outgoing mail server should be set to send.vodafone.net if you have problems sending so looks like we've solved that problem.

You shouldn't have to change the outgoing server on the Vodafone Mobile Broadband from your normal server, however problems usually arise with private domains, so we always suggest changing to send.vodafone.net

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

DCFears2
Not applicable

Please let me know

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

I've just tried the suggestion, and it failed to work for me.

I'm using Outlook 2000, SP3 on WinXP, SP3, in conjunction with the 3G USB modem device K3565.

When I checked the Authentication required box, and used the "Test Settings" button, all seemed fine, and I "received" the test message. However, when I try to send a message to a "real" email address, I still get the 503 message. I've also tried changing the SMTP server to be send.vodafone.net, but still have the same problem.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
DCF

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi DCF and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems here :(

Can you tell me if when you used the send.vodafone.net outgoing mail server did you turn authentication off? This is the setting it will need to be.

What email provider are you using in conjunction with this? Has it ever worked ?

Please let us know and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team