Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsoft Outlook Email - Authentication Required Error

jonathanfinlay
Not applicable
When I send email from Microsoft Outlook via vodafone mobile broadband, the emails are rejected. the message says the recipient cannot be reached and gives the following error:530 authentication required
This only happens with mobile broadband, not with my land line. Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

WL Chris
Not applicable
Hi

We are having the same problem and 'my outgoing mail server requires authentication' is unticked. The outgoing mail server is set to 'send.vodafone.net'. The mail provider for incoming mail is Rednet (now Opal Solutions).

Thanks

Chris

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello WL Chris

Welcome to the eForum, :)

Indeed you seem to have an almost identical issue to DCF. I can't be sure whether this is simply an issue with a change at Opal's end related to a migration from Rednet to Opal.

Although the send.vodafone.net works without the need for authentication, I always advise using your generic servers, ie Opal.smtp.etc etc with authentication.

I would investigate whether any additional changes have occurred via Opal, and whether you are able to connect via Outlook with the same settings.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

stepsrl
Not applicable
Hey Guys

the problem should get solved by going to your email account settings (Tools > Account Settings > More Settings), and checking the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" option.

let me know if you still have the issue

James

eForum Team

stepsrl
Not applicable
Hi all,

This is a problem sending ONLY to hotmail is what I am finding. I have put send.vodafone.net as my smtp outgoing server and it works fine to ALL other email addresses except hotmail? If I turn on requires authenticaton, then no outgoing emails work? I did read last week on an earlier forum that vodafone were aware of the hotmail problem. Are you anywhere nearer sorting this out?

Rob

Hey Guys

the problem should get solved by going to your email account settings (Tools > Account Settings > More Settings), and checking the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" option.

let me know if you still have the issue

James

eForum Team

stepsrl
Not applicable
Hi Jonathan,

See my reply at bottom to vodafone e-forum regarding hotamil. is your error only to hotmail addresses? If so could be same error I am getting. I get the same error code when sending to hotmail ONLY.

Rob

When I send email from Microsoft Outlook via vodafone mobile broadband, the emails are rejected. the message says the recipient cannot be reached and gives the following error:530 authentication required
This only happens with mobile broadband, not with my land line. Any ideas?

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi All

If you are unable to send emails to Hotmail then this is due to Hotmail blocking our SMTP server. We are aware of this problem but this is something that Microsoft must remove.

At the moment they recognise that the outgoing mailserver is spam and blocks it. We have asked for it to be taken from their block list but unfortunately as the Hotmail service is theirs we are unable to force them to remove us from their block lists.

Sorry about that

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

bacupian
4: Newbie
Hi All

If you are unable to send emails to Hotmail then this is due to Hotmail blocking our SMTP server. We are aware of this problem but this is something that Microsoft must remove.

At the moment they recognise that the outgoing mailserver is spam and blocks it. We have asked for it to be taken from their block list but unfortunately as the Hotmail service is theirs we are unable to force them to remove us from their block lists.

Sorry about that

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

As I was told after one of my ips had been blocked:

"if it looks like spam or smells like spam, it gets treated as spam"

I wasn't experimenting from ip address I normally used for email but the point got home.

pity vodafone don't get the point

David

stepsrl
Not applicable
Ok, Thanks for the update Wayne.

Rob

Hi All

Sorry about that

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hayden Dunstan
Not applicable
Hi there

I am using windows 7 with a 3g dongle and have tried the following:

I have tried using my original domain with authentication as provided buy my email provider(Logon using Username and password)
I have changed the smtp server settings to "send.vodafone.net" as well as "smtp.vodafone.net"
I have checked the smtp authentication box and put in the authentication details in the more settings dialog. I then tried it without authentication too. Neither worked.

I am battling to send mails through the vodacom smtp server and i am told that i cannot get a vodafone adress in order to set up the authentication. I read above that vodafone servers dont require smtp authentication but why then doesnt it work when i simply tell outlook to find the send.vodafone.net server woithout authentication.

I eventually told it to use the "mail.btinternet.com" server and put in someone elses username and password who agreed to authenticate my email adress through their account.

It doesnt make snese to me because none of the above works. how is it then that i can connect on the Vodafone network, relay outgoing mail through BT to ISDSL in South Africa?

Any help?

Hayden.

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi there

I am using windows 7 with a 3g dongle and have tried the following:

I have tried using my original domain with authentication as provided buy my email provider(Logon using Username and password)
I have changed the smtp server settings to "send.vodafone.net" as well as "smtp.vodafone.net"
I have checked the smtp authentication box and put in the authentication details in the more settings dialog. I then tried it without authentication too. Neither worked.

I am battling to send mails through the vodacom smtp server and i am told that i cannot get a vodafone adress in order to set up the authentication. I read above that vodafone servers dont require smtp authentication but why then doesnt it work when i simply tell outlook to find the send.vodafone.net server woithout authentication.

I eventually told it to use the "mail.btinternet.com" server and put in someone elses username and password who agreed to authenticate my email adress through their account.

It doesnt make snese to me because none of the above works. how is it then that i can connect on the Vodafone network, relay outgoing mail through BT to ISDSL in South Africa?

Any help?

Hayden.

BT Internet requires the owner to authenticate from within the account in the options.

I have a livemail account (aka Hotmail) and use SMTP.LIVE.COM without problems (Using Thunderbird email client). You should also be able to use Googlemail in the same way. It's much easier if you have an account with that webmail provider in the Thunderbird or Outlook setup, so I have my livemail account as one of the email accounts. You generally only have the one default SMTP output server but as many different pop3 incoming servers in the setup. Hope this helps.
If you are using Outlook or WindowsLive try Thunderbird instead - too much commercial engineering from Micros0ft.