Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broaband - Admin access needed?

AndrewD
Not applicable
Forum Newbie here!

I install 3G modems in users' (Win XP/SP3) laptops, and a constant niggle is that they don't work unless the user is in the local administrators group.

They work for the installer (who IS an Admin of course), and then when the non-Admin user logs on the software starts but they get "No Device Found".

We don't want everyone and his dog (or more accurately his teenage kids!) in the Local Admins group, anyone can see the problems this would cause.

Is there an easy fix for this? A User Right they can have, or something, that will make it work and NOT require them to be in the Admins group?

It really limits the usefulness of these units.

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I couldn't find the search feature.
1 REPLY 1

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey Andrew Du,

I can certainly see your point of view here.

I've had a look around the forum and can see there may be a fix for this contained within this thread.

Basically, you need to follow the instructions as per below:

In the admin account, type in "services.msc" in the Start search box, and click on the "Services" command that appears in the list.

Page down to "Vodafone Mobile Broadband Service" and right click on it, select properties.

Go to Logon tab and click radio button to "Use This Account" and enter Administrator's credentials. It should start in the user account with admin credentials.

Courtesy of jarviser

Let us know if it works.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team