Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband And Macs

Lloyd Evans
Not applicable
I recently bought a Vodafone USB broadband dongle.

At the time of purchase was I worried about exceeding my usage but was reassuringly told that the software included a data counter to monitage my usage.

After installing the software on my Mac it became clear the software only provides the settings that enable you to make a connection and that there isn't a data counter.

I contacted Vodafone customer services and they told me that the software wasn't compatible with Macs and there was no way to monitor my usage.

I asked how I was expected to monitor my usage and was told that if I only use the dongle to surf the internet and check my emails, I shouldn't go over my limit.

I was also told that if I did, it was unlikely that I would be charged.

For the past two months, I have been charged by Vodafone for exceeding my usage by a very small amount.

How am I possibly supposed to know how much data I am using from vodafone?

I was told by Customer Services to register for My Vodafone but this online billing only provides a long list of the times and data used. It is hardly user friendly, as it does not even tell me the total amount of usage. It is certainly not the data counter I was told came with the product.

Also, I do not expect to have download a third party piece of software as has been suggested on the Vodafone forum.

I feel that this is a major flaw with the product and I would not have signed up to the contract if I had known that this was the case.

2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Lloyd Evan,

I'm really disappointed to hear you were not advised correctly :(

The data counter for OSX - though whilst not as comprehensive, is located in the VMC application - simply click 'Vodafone Mobile Connect' where it's written in bold by the Apple logo (top left hand corner), then choose Preferences. After this click Usage Monitor for data statistics on what you've used. It's not a kilobyte-for-kilobyte transaction monitor, but is about on par with the Vodafone Mobile Connect for Windows version. Simply reset it each month - it really is as easy as that ;)

If you do need any further help, I use the modem on my Mac regularly, so if you have any questions let me know.

PS... if you're looking for the latest version, head over to our VMC for Mac page and download it!

Daz

eForum Team

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
You could see whether vnstat would work under Mac... excellent application
Neil