Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - Another program is using the device

Slee1979
Not applicable
I have been assigned a job to install a wireless dongle onto a win7 32bit machine. I log into the administrators account and install the software just fine. I can also connect after installation. However, when I reboot and get the user to log in under her credentials, when she tries to connect it says another program is using the device and it will not connect. There are no other programs running. I have tried running the software release before this one and it simply crashes when it tries t connect rather than come up with a message. Im a bit stuck. I have also installed it under her account using my admin credentials and the same problem persists.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Simon
2 REPLIES 2

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

I have been assigned a job to install a wireless dongle onto a win7 32bit machine. I log into the administrators account and install the software just fine. I can also connect after installation. However, when I reboot and get the user to log in under her credentials, when she tries to connect it says another program is using the device and it will not connect. There are no other programs running. I have tried running the software release before this one and it simply crashes when it tries t connect rather than come up with a message. Im a bit stuck. I have also installed it under her account using my admin credentials and the same problem persists.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Simon

DUN with non-admin account can be problemmatic. Try this - in the admin account, type in "services.msc" in the Start search box, and click on the "Services" command that appears in the list.
Page down to "Vodafone Mobile Broadband Service" and right click on it, select properties. Go to Logon tab and click radio button to "Use This Account" and enter Administrator's credentials. It should start in the user account with admin credentials. Let us know if it works.

Personally I hate non-admin accounts - there's usually something vital that refuses to work.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Simon,

This is a good suggestion by jarviser, give this a go and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the info jarviser. :)

James
eForum Team