Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - How To Find Your Own Number

martincharles
Not applicable
To log into your account to make a top up using a credit card, you are required to supply your own number. This is not printed on the box the usb modem is supplied in or given in any other literature supplied. Furthermore, the information in the supplied leaflets and manuals is incorrect and won't help.

If you need to top up out of normal hours or at the weekend this can be a real problem as getting help also requires that you have to give a mobile number to get through the options on the automated answering system, although I've been told that using # for the number will put you through to someone if you are not out of hours.

The solution is quite simple and I think it should be placed in a sticky untill a better solution is provided. I very boldly bought another mobile usb device for my daughter (from Argos for £29.99) and this is what I found.
After you have installed the software by plugging the dongle into a usb port, look for a file called
MobileConnectProfile.XML
On my daughter's (Ruth's) Vista PC this is here-
C:\Users\Ruth\AppData\Roaming\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Connect\UserData\MobileConnectProfile.XML

Open that file and search for "OwnNumber". When I found it I tested it by sending a text message to it and it worked! I had already used the dongle so I don't know if this information was there before that.

On my XP PC it is in
C:\Program Files\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Connect\MobileConnectProfile.XML
but it has very little information and not my own number. Possibly the information was wiped after I set up my account.
3 REPLIES 3

techmind
4: Newbie
To log into your account to make a top up using a credit card, you are required to supply your own number. This is not printed on the box the usb modem is supplied in or given in any other literature supplied. Furthermore, the information in the supplied leaflets and manuals is incorrect and won't help.

There's a much simpler way. In Vodafone Mobile Connect software, go to the Help menu, then Diagnostics. This will tell you your hardware firmware-version, IMEI, IMSI, and your own number.

This works on my version 9.2 VMC - I would imagine other versions have something similar.

And if that didn't work, you could always send an SMS from your widget to a mobile-phone you have, and get the sender-number off that!

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi martincharles

Thanks for the post, I'm sorry to see you've had to go through all this just to get your number.

Normally you'd be able to view on the left hand side of the mobile connect dashboard, under the heading of service info.

This is the reason that it's not printed on the box, as you'd be able to view the number when you start using it.

For any new users of the Top Up and Go device, if you need any extra instructions, follow this link for the K3565 Help Centre and choose the software guide from the right hand side of the screen.

This will give you step by step instructions for most things including how to top up and check the dashboard version.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Many Thanks

MattyD

eForum

martincharles
Not applicable
There's a much simpler way. In Vodafone Mobile Connect software, go to the Help menu, then Diagnostics. This will tell you your hardware firmware-version, IMEI, IMSI, and your own number.

This works on my version 9.2 VMC - I would imagine other versions have something similar.

And if that didn't work, you could always send an SMS from your widget to a mobile-phone you have, and get the sender-number off that!

If it was that simple, ie as the manual tells you, then I would have been saved a lot of hastle. Unfortuneately with the mobile USB device your own number is not shown, hence my post to help others in need.