Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - Loss of 3G

cih008
Not applicable
I have been a Vodafone customer since the late 1980s and have always found the service excellent. However, I am struggling to be so positive about it at the moment. For the last four weeks I have been unable to get 3G on my mobile broadband Huawei E172 dongle (the computer remains in the same place as it has always been where I have received a good 3G without problems for at least two years). All I get is 2G which frequently comes to temporary halts despite showing a strong signal. My postcode is DD2 1RW.
I have phoned 191 six times now and been offered and tried various solutions including a new SIM card, reinstalling the dongle, and doing various things with the dongle SIM card in my phone.
They are very polite at customer services but there is no cohesion and no one offers to take an issue on from beginning to end. Each time I get a different person and they suggest something different and are always confident it is the answer. So far nothing has worked.
The latest call promised to inform engineers of a problem which I was told could take two weeks to investigate. I was told that customer calls are relied upon to locate network problems. However I find it hard to believe that Vodafone is not aware of issues across its network through monitoring. I also find it hard to believe that 3G could be out for such a long time without being rectified.
I am close to the end of the line on this. It is not so much the fact that I am paying monthly for a 3G package and not getting 3G, more that no one seems to be able to offer a solution. Perhaps the time has come to try one of the other networks.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi cih008 and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

You problem seems to be due to 'cell breathing'. 3G cell sites 'breathe' to allow users closer to the site to get the best connection possible. So for instance, if you live on the edge of a 3G cells coverage area, but its not particularly busy (based on the cells capacity) then you will be able to get 3G ok. If you live on the edge of a 3G cells coverage area and the usage closer to the site starts to get more traffic then the 3G cells site will reduce its coverage radius to provide the users closest to the site with the best reception.

This is what sounds like is happening to you here. I know this isn't great news for you and your situation, however, I do have one question that should confirm this. Do you know of any particular times of the day/night when you notice that you are able to receive 3G coverage like you used to?

Please let me know and we'll be more than happy tohelp you further.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that there is a planned site in your area that, should this be the issue, should resolve some of the capacity issues on the 3G cell site you are using.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

steven
4: Newbie

Hi cih008 and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

You problem seems to be due to 'cell breathing'. 3G cell sites 'breathe' to allow users closer to the site to get the best connection possible. So for instance, if you live on the edge of a 3G cells coverage area, but its not particularly busy (based on the cells capacity) then you will be able to get 3G ok. If you live on the edge of a 3G cells coverage area and the usage closer to the site starts to get more traffic then the 3G cells site will reduce its coverage radius to provide the users closest to the site with the best reception.

This is what sounds like is happening to you here. I know this isn't great news for you and your situation, however, I do have one question that should confirm this. Do you know of any particular times of the day/night when you notice that you are able to receive 3G coverage like you used to?

Please let me know and we'll be more than happy tohelp you further.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that there is a planned site in your area that, should this be the issue, should resolve some of the capacity issues on the 3G cell site you are using.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hello Wayne,

Just when exactly would you suggest we should use it?

At Stupid O'clock in the Morning? when everybody else is in Bed? and therfore not as busy?

Regards,

The Eggman

cih008
Not applicable
Thanks Wayne for your response. Unfortunately it just adds to my confusion and frustration as it is just one of so many different bits of advice offered by Vodafone. So far I have been told it may be...

1. An issue with the SIM card. I have been sent one replacement SIM that is refusing to update on the network and, when placed in my phone will not connect to the internet or allow a call to be made (having followed instructions to connect to another network and then return to vodafone on the phone). I called 191 again re this issue today and they are sending out another SIM card...

2. An issue with the software. I have v3.2.2.182 on my dongle at present which I realise is old. However with a 2G connection it is impossible to download the current version from the Vodafone website. 191 yesterday(sat) suggested I go into my local Vodafone store (Dundee) to have this updated. The guy assured me the store would be open on a Sunday so in I went today(sun) with my laptop - only to find it is actually shut on a Sunday.

3. A cell issue or network failure - I have looked at the coverage map for my area and it is good. This doesn't explain why the signal disappeared completely six weeks ago and has not since been available at any time of the night or day - I have tried to connect at various times and always get 2G.

Ideally I would like Vodafone to provide a replacement dongle and SIM under my existing contract which has been running for a couple of years now, particularly as for the last six weeks I have been paying for a 3G service and not receiving it. Having experienced Vodafone customer service (particularly the fact no one is willing to take an issue from start to conclusion) I would be reluctant to sign up on any new contract.

Hopefully the new SIM card will resolve matters but at the moment I am not convinced...

cih008
Not applicable
Thanks Wayne for your response. Unfortunately it just adds to my confusion and frustration as it is just one of so many different bits of advice offered by Vodafone. So far I have been told it may be...

1. An issue with the SIM card. I have been sent one replacement SIM that is refusing to update on the network and, when placed in my phone will not connect to the internet or allow a call to be made (having followed instructions to connect to another network and then return to vodafone on the phone). I called 191 again re this issue today and they are sending out another SIM card...

2. An issue with the software. I have v3.2.2.182 on my dongle at present which I realise is old. However with a 2G connection it is impossible to download the current version from the Vodafone website. 191 yesterday(sat) suggested I go into my local Vodafone store (Dundee) to have this updated. The guy assured me the store would be open on a Sunday so in I went today(sun) with my laptop - only to find it is actually shut on a Sunday.

3. A cell issue or network failure - I have looked at the coverage map for my area and it is good. This doesn't explain why the signal disappeared completely six weeks ago and has not since been available at any time of the night or day - I have tried to connect at various times and always get 2G.

Ideally I would like Vodafone to provide a replacement dongle and SIM under my existing contract which has been running for a couple of years now, particularly as for the last six weeks I have been paying for a 3G service and not receiving it. Having experienced Vodafone customer service (particularly the fact no one is willing to take an issue from start to conclusion) I would be reluctant to sign up on any new contract.

Hopefully the new SIM card will resolve matters but at the moment I am not convinced...

cih008
Not applicable
Sadly the new sim did not resolve the issue - I am now on O2...

Sadly the new sim did not resolve the issue - I am now on O2...

Why do I keep reading stories of customers losing 3 G - and the fault not being passed to engineers to inspect the site to resolve the issues.

Do Vodafone not realise that customers are starting to be aware that "offers of new sims" and advice to "try it in another mobile" are just a cover up for poor service maintenance on the ground becuase reports of site hardware faults are not being passed up.

Mark

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Mark Ellis 62

Only a small proportion of these issues are caused by faulty sites, and we have set procedures to identify what's causing the issue. We can do a check of the sites on our systems, and it shows the flow of traffic in last 30 minutes. If there's issues with these findings, it's then reported to our engineers.

The easiest way to check if the phone itself is faulty, is to place your SIM in another handset, in the same location to see if the issue is still present.

Older SIMs are also known to have issues with 3G, unlike the newer USIM which was developed for 3G services. If we spot that a customer has an older SIM, it's best practice to change this, as it may well resolve the issue.

Ideally we want to resolve these as soon as possible, so these two, quick simple checks are in place to help us achieve this.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team