Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - No device problem

chasd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My father's computer uses a Vodafone mobile broadband usb modem as its broadband connection. It is used regularly but for low data volumes. The usb modem is the Huawei K3565. It has been working perfectly for several years until a couple of days ago.

A couple of days ago when he tried to activate the Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite software (in order to connect) a message appeared that "VMC had encountered a problem and had to close" and the VMC Lite application would not open. Searching the web I managed to find that this was caused by a problem with Microsoft .NET framework sotware on the pc. I got a fix for this. However now when I double click on the VMC Lite aplication the window opens but shows "No device".

I have tried system restores, un-installing the VMC software and re-installing it. I saw some references to similar problems on the eforum and I have tried un-installing the mass storage devices within device manager to prevent the usb modem being treated as a memory device by the application. None of these have worked.

Because I have re-installed the software from the USB dongle I am now usng Version 9.3.5.11690 which was the version originally installed on the dongle. The pc is using Windows XP SP3.

Can you advise me what else I can try to fix this?

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Simon

I have tried continuing to use the device for a week or so now via the manual dialup . It is still functioning in that way. I am still getting the error 619 if I try to connect the "normal" way using hte connect button on the vodafone mobile broadband application. The pc is running the up to date version 10.2 and although error 633 appeared once, that was the exception. The repeated error is error 619.

At least I am getting a connection, so that the pc can be used to connect to the internet.

1. Will the dial up method continue to work or is it a temporary fix?

2. I would feel more confident if I was not getting errors from the application. Is there anything else I can try to fix it to prevent these error problems?

Thanks

Chasd

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi chasd,

To be honest the manual dial up is a temporary fix to allow a connection whilst we look at alternatives for you however, can I ask if you can try to download and install V9 of the software from here.

The reason for this is that there is a possibility that the version that you are trying to use is not compatible with parts of your current operating system.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Hi James

I am wary of uninstalling the current version of the software (v10.2) and going back to version 9 because I don't think that caused the probem in the first place and I have done re-installs multiple times recently. Just to clarify, the pc had been using version 10 for more than 6 months (probably over 12 months,but I cannot remember exactly) before this problem arose. In that context, is it really a good bet to go back to version 9? I will try it if you are sure it is worthwhile.

I am out of my depth here but I suspect that the initial problem had something to do with the version of the .NET framework that I had on the pc. To be honest I have no idea what Microsoft .NET does but the first problem that I had was where the mobile broadband software did not function at all and a contributor to the forum helped me with some advice which invoved downloading an MS fix tool for a problem with MS.NET and getting some MS updates. You will see the history in the posts, but this fix got me over the first problem and then there were further difficulties, first with the application not seeing the USB modem and (once that was fixed) then the current problem of the error message. If the original problem did start from .NET (and I am just guessing based on the coincidence) is it possible for this to have caused operating system problems of this type, where previously there were no apparent compatibility problems?

Thanks

Chasd

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi chasd,

The ".NET framework" is a Microsoft creation which provides language interoperability between applications and on older versions of windows is actually pre-installed in the Operating System. Essentially, this means that it helps communicate between otherwise incompatible programs in different coding languages. This could theoretically cause an issue if something happens such as a fault or incompatible update, but so can many other programs and services.

I would follow James' suggestion as this will help with ruling in or out an issue between the system and the software version. 

Dave

Hi Dave

I have followed James' link and uninstalled version 10 and replaced it with version 9. It worked! It is now connecting successfully using the connect button on the mobile broadband dashboard, without any error messages.

After all the hassle this has caused I am tempted to play it safe and stick with version 9. Or would you recommend that I should try an update to version 10?

Thanks

Chasd

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi chasd, 

To be honest, I'd say that as you've now got a successfully working broadband connection with no errors showing, I'd be inclined to continue with version 9. If you do wish to update to version 10, but encounter the errors again, you now at least know the process to revert back to the previous version.

Thanks

Andrew