Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - Signal Strength

journeyoflife
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi,

I am using Vodaphone's mobile broadband (via dongle) and my signal is always 'Poor' or 'Very Poor'. Often my speeds are akin to Dial-Up. Sometimes my connection shuts down completely.

I have run the 3G Coverage test on Vodaphone's website which gives a reading of 'Excellent' for my postcode.

Is there a way in which I can boost my signal?

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Journeyoflife,

To be honest there are a number of things that can effect signal strength in an area including buildings in the sight of the site, geographical lay of the land (hills etc), the weather, and the amount of users using the cell at a particular time.

If you are in clear site of your local site then you shouldn't have many issues however if in an older building the walls and building materials used can sometimes cause issues as the signal can sometimes have difficulties going though some walls.

James
eForum Team

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi Trev,

The signal is poor throughout my flat.

I do not think that there is anything unique about the construction of the three storey block I live in.

Can the signal be interferred with by other signals such as mobile phones or TV satelite dishes?

Cheers.

USing the link I gave you earlier, the nearest 3G masts to you are T-Mobile on Upper Clapton Rd, or Three on Clapton Common.
The nearest Vodafone 2100MHz masts seem to be in a cluster where Stamford Hill (A10) goes over the railway near Belfast Road, or Kenninghall Rd/A107 roundabout. Have you tried driving over there with a laptop to see if you get good reception? If so then it's definitely distance from the mast and/or topology that's the problem. If still bad then it could be the laptop or dongle. I know it's very DIY but it may clinch it for you.

SurfSilver
4: Newbie
Just to underpin my earlier post about the uncertainty of the relationship between signal strength and effective speed, I am at the moment connected to 3G and getting a serviceable if not brilliant speed of better than 300kbps - on "zero" signal strength (no bars)!

I'm currently in a rural location where I usually only get 2G or Edge, so I'm rather astonished to see the 3G connection hanging in there. (According to Vodafone's current coverage maps, my present location in LE67 2SL is in the twilight zone where 3G coverage goes from "indoor variable" to, er, zilch).

So, just to say it again, signal strength isn't everything (although stronger is no doubt better).