Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband Software - Windows Server 2012 Support

kes1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I'm having trouble using my K3770 dongle with Windows Server 2012 R2, Voadonfe Mobile Broadband has installed (it seems succesfully), but never starts due to a problem with the VMBService. I've pasted the exception below.

Microsoft .net 3.5 SP1 and .net 4.0 are all installed and available.

Does anybody have advice or are the server editions simply not supported by the software ? If not is it possible just to setup a standard dial up connection using the USB modem ? 

If your hardware can't support Server I'll have to cancel the contract.

Thanks

Kes

Service cannot be started. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {BDFEE05B-4418-11DD-90ED-001C257CCFF1} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
at Vodafone.NtService.Core.MbnApiListener.Start()
at Vodafone.NtService.Core.DeviceManager.Initialize()
at Vodafone.NtService.Core.NtServiceCore.Initialize()
at Vodafone.NtService.Core.NtServiceCore.OnStart()
at Vodafone.NtService.NtService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state) 

3 REPLIES 3

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

To the best of my knowledge, Windows Server isn't supported, only the desktop versions of Windows are.  If you take a look at the ReadMe file for the device, it doesn't list Windows Server.  It may be worth running the Clean Up tool to remove the VMB software and ensuring that you download the latest version from here

PWIAC

I'm experiencing the same error with Server 2016. Could you guys just fix this since Windows 10 and Server are built from the same kernel codebase.

From the error message it seems like there might be a bug since I did not find an NtService assembly, but this is just speculation on my part as repearted use of the token could just be referring to simply a namespace for the OnStart method: Vodafone.NtService.NtService.OnStart

For the most part, code which compiles on Windows 10 should compile on Winodws Server 2016, but perhaps this error is brought out by some branch in the code which depends on the platform or a configuration setting in Windows Server.

OK, I just installed the latest app -- for Windows 10, and the error I get now is different:

Service cannot be started. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {BDFEE05B-4418-11DD-90ED-001C257CCFF1} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)). at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type) at Vodafone.NtService.Core.MbnApiListener.Start() at Vodafone.NtService.Core.DeviceManager.Initialize() at Vodafone.NtService.Core.NtServiceCore.In...