Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - k3760 + Windows 7 + 64bit

nickj
Not applicable
Hi I'm using the k3670 USB dongle. I've recent purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 64bit Professional.

I'm really struggling to recognise the USB deive.

I have installed the latest version of Vodafone Mobile Software, version 10.0.201.23143 to be precise.

After installing the software the device isn't recognised at all. I have explored the device manager and attempted to fix the issue using the SwitchZCOption as detailed here, http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/47658-k3760-and-windows-7-no-device-found/page__st__20

Can any confirm that this device does actually work on a 64bit Windows 7 box, as I can't find much information about this particular setup. After trawling through a bunch of web sites and trying fixes people have posted, nothing seems to do the trick.

Can anyone help???!

Thanks,
Nick
5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi nickj and welcome to the Vodafone eForum. :)

In short, the dongle and OS are compatible, especially if you are using the latest version of VMC.

I've two or three questions that will assist in diagnosing your issue:

Are there any lights flashing on the modem? If so, what sort of colour/frequency?

Also, does Windows make a noise to say it has recognised you plugging the modem in?

Also, do you see a Vodafone logo under "devices with removable storage" in My Computer?

The USB modem has to attach itself as a CD Drive in order to load the software and initialise the modem. The problem is, it can sometimes be a bit picky about which drive letter it attaches itself to, and if the one it wants (usually either E or F) is already taken, you see the icon in My Computer appear and then disappear on its own.

If one of your new partitions takes one of the lower letters (D, E, F, G, for example), can you try moving them to higher drive letters out of the way, using the Disk Management tool?

Let me know how this affects the issue.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

jarviser
15: Advanced member
Fairly sure that dongle is made by Huawei. I wouldn't try to run any Huawei dongle in 64 bit Windows. I followed many threads in Huawei forum last year and Huawei seemed to be in denial about the existance of any 64bit drivers. If you still have the choice of 32 bit Windows (they usually ship as 2 disks) install that. If you have less than 4GB of memory it will work just as well and better in mobile broadband. If the PC came with it unstalled (mostly shipped as 64 bit for some months now) then you won't have that luxury.

Explore the CD drive inside the dongle and look for a specifically 64 bit installer to run (in's in the name)

I would certainly give the Version 10 of the full fat VMC in the VF business site (officially not supported on UK but it's there) which is supposed to be 64 bit. And after installation, plug in the dongle and WAIT 5 minutes to let it detect.

or there's Ubuntu...

nickj
Not applicable
Hi Trev, thanks for the quick respone.

Also, do you see a Vodafone logo under "devices with removable storage" in My Computer?

No

I have a 'reader' partition of some kind in D:\ , I can't change this as it is in use - not sure if it's some kind of recovery thing? My CD drive is mapped to E:\ but no sign of any Vodafone dongle in there...

Cheers,
Nick

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Nickj

It also seems that your dongle is not registering at all.

Do you have access to another computer, for example for the purpose of testing to ensure the modem is working correctly? It may be worth seeing if the device works properly.

Additionally have you considered Jarviser's suggestions regarding the as yet 'non-UK' supported VMC 10, we could see if this allows a modem detection.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

jarviser

I have a 'reader' partition of some kind in D:\ , I can't change this as it is in use - not sure if it's some kind of recovery thing? My CD drive is mapped to E:\ ...

Cheers,
Nick

In that case the internal storage of the dongle should be F: drive or higher. As it doesn't recognise either the VMC storage or the modem parts of the dongle you are in serious trouble somewhere.

Trying it on a 32 bit Windows PC as reidar suggested will eliminate the dongle or 64 bits as the problem.