cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile broadband - Laptop provided with Mobile Broadband- who's responsible?

kelz2125
Not applicable
Hi,

I signed up to a 24 month mobile broadband contract in July and was provided with a laptop as part of the package. The laptop has developed a fault, the screen is constantly flickering and sometimes goes off altogether. It has been doing this for the last month. I have contacted the support number in the booklet that came with the laptop and they have told me they aren't responsible for the replacement or repair, it is down to Vodafone. I have contacted Vodafone Customer Support, who have told me they are responsible for the mobile broadband service only, not the laptop. So I am stuck with a laptop thats faulty at 3 months old which I have to pay for for the next 21 months! Can anyone advise???? For info the laptop is a EI System Sorrento, which on the bottom says was made exclusively for DSG Group (Dixons).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Kel x
2 REPLIES 2

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi,

I signed up to a 24 month mobile broadband contract in July and was provided with a laptop as part of the package. The laptop has developed a fault, the screen is constantly flickering and sometimes goes off altogether. It has been doing this for the last month. I have contacted the support number in the booklet that came with the laptop and they have told me they aren't responsible for the replacement or repair, it is down to Vodafone. I have contacted Vodafone Customer Support, who have told me they are responsible for the mobile broadband service only, not the laptop. So I am stuck with a laptop thats faulty at 3 months old which I have to pay for for the next 21 months! Can anyone advise???? For info the laptop is a EI System Sorrento, which on the bottom says was made exclusively for DSG Group (Dixons).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Kel x

The general rule of thumb in Sale of Goods Act is that it's the Retailer who is responsible for all aspects of the transaction and warranty and never the manufacturer. The Act also gives you up to two years expectation of freedom from inherent defects, irrespective of the length of the stated warranty period (i.e. the warranty "does not affect your statutory rights")

If the retailer chooses to pursue the manufacturer for a finanbcial remedy it's up to them, but you do not need to contact any manufacturer and the manufacturer has no legal requirement to offer you remedy. It's the retailer.

Did you get it from a retail outlet? If so I would have thought it's a no-brainer - the Shop. If it's online, then the website retailer is responsible.

If the retailer refuses again, call Consumer Direct who are the public's way into Trading Standards and are VERY good at pointing you in the right direction.

Disclaimer - the above is amateur opinion and does not constiute legal advice in any way.

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi kelz2125,

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry to hear that your laptop has developed a fault, I'm confident that it can be fixed though :).

As jarviser has mentioned, you'll need to speak with the retailer you purchased the laptop from in regards to any warranty. It may also be worth contacting the manufacturer of the laptop as they may be able to help.

George
eForum Team