Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Non-expiring Credit - Well Not Exactly

dexdyne2
4: Newbie
I am pretty convinced that Vodafone is applying a 1p connection charge to the credit for each new connect on the £15 for 1GB non-expiring credit.

I guess that shouldn't be totally unexpected - - but it does mean that there must be a more detailed document somewhere about "how much gets charged" than I have so far found and read.

Can anyone help me find out EXACTLY what charges are made on these devices.... for instance is the charge different if you wander into an area with no 3G coverage and have to go onto 2G???

I'd just be happier if I had a proper price list to look at.

TVM

David
23 REPLIES 23

ukwizard
Not applicable
Did you get clarification on the 1p minimum charge?

Im running into the same problem, I have a dongle I was using with my mac, but for some reason it was stuck on 2g so I didnt use it much.

Anyway, I got a new ipad, trimmed down the sim and it works however the credit is dropping very quickly. I think the iPad connects and disconnects a lot and im running into a 1p connection charge on each connection so the credit can quite easily drop 10p in an hour with less than 500kb sent / received.

Does the credit go dead when you get to zero, or does it carry on until you use up 1 gig?

Thanks

dsearleuk
Not applicable
I have the old non-expiring PAYG sim in a USB dongle. The dongle is plugged into a 3G router and it all works well.
I use it as a backup for DSL, and occasionally in our caravan. I don't use it much which is why I like the non-expiring pricing.

I have noticed my balance drops when I leave the router switched on, even with no computer connected to it. I have tried selecting both the 'Connect When Required' and 'Keep Connection' options on the router. Neither setting prevents my balance from falling.
My balance dropped by 12p today, even though there is nothing connected to my router.

I have sent VF an email about this, no reply yet.

At this rate, if I left the thing on, it would cost as much as a 3G contract SIM, even if I didn't use it.

Something is not quite right.

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member
Would it not use a few pence just to connect to the internet to check the balance? Also the router may contact internet time servers occasionally to update system time etc depending on the router. A BT ADSL router will contact a time server every hour A few pence is nothing to be concerned about but it can be a downside of using routers always-on. Is there an event log you can look at to see what ithe router has been doing?

Also I assume the wifi is encrypted to WPA standard to protect against neighbours using it.

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi dws

Hmm that is odd. It would be worth taking a look at the account history on this to answer correctly. I've sent you an email so we can have a look into this. if you could reply and we will investigate further.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team