Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG Mobile Broadband Disconnection Problem

Tethys
2: Seeker

I have just purchased a PAYGSIM& dongle mobile broadband package inSpain.  The dongle is a K3772-Z.  The software version is 10.2.302.33178 ZTE, the latest as I understand it.

I have Windows XP SP3 running on aDELLVostro 1500.  I have successfully installed the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software.

In 3 different geographical locations inSpain, I receive a very strong 3G signal.  I can connect, but almost immediately the connection is dropped, with the following message:

Mobile connection not possible.

- Set your current mobile device as the default

device under the 'Devices' tab in the Advanced window

- Ensure that no other applications are using your

mobile device and try again in a short while

- Delete the device under the 'Devices' tab in the Advanced

window, add it back again, and then try connecting

- If you see the 'Account Type' option in the Options window,

check that the right account is selected for yourSIM.

If this error persists, please contact Support

at your mobile network operator.

Support information:

RASerror code 668

I also get a “Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged” message on the task bar at the same time.  ThisLANis the Vodafone Mobile Broadband Network Adapter (ZTE).  The same problem happens if I force a GPRS Only connection.

I also have a Spanish VodafoneSIMonly which produces similar problems in a Huawei modem.  This modem works perfectly well with a Portuguese VodafoneSIM.

I have spent a long time searching the internet and the Vodafone forum in particular, and it seems this is a common problem, but I haven’t seen a definitive solution.  I am an experienced IT professional and have never had such a problem before.  I have checked all the usual things like software versions etc, so would appreciate a technical response to this query, rather than a generic one.  I have so far spent €70 and have no working Vodafone mobile broadband service.

I realise you are a UK based forum, but I note that similar problems have been experienced in the UK as well as Spain, so I don’t think it’s a Spain-specific problem.  I know I have the correctAPNsettings forSpain.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to receiving your reply.

Regards,

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tethys,

Thanks for your post here.

To be honest the first thing to check is that you are trying to connect via the correct access point and configuration for the PAYG Dongle in Spain.

In the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software:

Click on the advanced Tab,

Click on the white antenna at the top left corner,

Go to options,

Account type,

Make sure it is matching your Plan. (PAYG)

If this is set up correctly then the next step would be to test the modem on a different machine and making sure that you are using the latest version of Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software.

However you will need to speak with Vodafone ES to get the correct version for your dongle as it won’t work with the UK VMB variant.

James

Hi James,

As I said in my original post I have checked all the usual things.  I have the correct account settings and the latest software version.

Incidentally, it did work for a period of time  2 evenings ago - nothing had been changed before or since but of course it doesn't work again now.

This is all very frustrating and completely the opposite experience of Vodafone Portugal, i.e. buy a PAYG SIM, plug it in and everything just works.  Reading other posts here, regrettably it seems the only course of action is to find another network operator.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tethys,

If all of the APN setting are correct then you will need to speak with your own network provider inSpainwho will be able to check the account for you and we don’t have access to any of your account or network information.

However it may be worth posting about your issue on the Vodafone Spain eForum to see if they can offer any further assistance to you.

James

sjclemmy

Hi there,

I will be staying in Spain for 5 weeks in a house without a phone line, so I will be resorting to mobile broadband - I would appreciate the benefit of your experience with regard to be packages and 3g routers - I was considering getting a more heavy duty 3g router with external antenna but I'm not sure of the signal direction etc until I get there.

could you possibly email me on (email address removed for customer security) if you would be happy to enter into a dialogue about this.

Thanks,
Steve 

Hi sjclemmy

Thanks for your post. As we only supply 3G mobile broadband dongles and not routers it's not something that we're able to offer advice on unfortunately. In terms of the price plans available for using data abroad you can find more information on this here - Mobile Broadband Abroad.

Personally as you're going for 5 weeks I would consider taking a look at the available price plans and coverage from Vodafone Spain and picking this up when you're over there as the costs will be much cheaper than on roaming.

Thanks

Simon